Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 with 4.2 - Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Q7 with 4.2 - Oil Leaks

Hello Audi Gang! My Q7 has the 4.2 Liter V8. There are a couple of oil leaks, one is the oil pan, and the other...well...I'm not sure. It is on the right side of the engine, below the cam cover. I've tried looking from above and below the vehicle using a flash light, but I just can't tell where the leak is. I'm thinking of removing the right-front wheel and inner fender to try and get a better look. I have felt along the bottom edge of the cam cover and it is dry. What other items in this area could leak oil?

Also...regarding the oil pan, apparently there is no gasket, the factory used only a bead of sealant. I think that gaskets are available on-line. Should I use a gasket or just re-apply a bead of sealant?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same engine and I replaced the crankshaft oil seal, just beside the pulley and it reduced oil leak by 50%. I still can see oil around the pan and leaking on the plasic bottom more on driver side. I'm using Mobil1 0W40, may be too liquid and oil is probably leaking from everywere, but lubricating everywere. Feel free to give your input or personal experience about the 4.2 V8 FSI.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello Q7V8....I will have to take a closer look and see if the crankshaft seal on my Q7 is leaking. My other oil leak is dripping oil onto the right side exhaust manifold or catalytic convertor, and makes quite a stink. I have felt along the lower edge of the cam cover and it is dry. As for oil I plan on using 5W-40, not sure what brand yet, maybe Mobile-1 or Valvoline....as long as it meets VW Spec. 502.00.

I've owned older Audi cars with the 4.2 engine, but this is my first 4.2 FSI. I've been searching on-line for a Bentley shop manual but just can't bring myself to pay $130 for one. I have a VAG-COM to read codes and help diagnose things. My laundry list of things to fix on my Q7 are the oil pan leak, the "mystery" oil leak, change the transmission filter and fluid, and replace the driveshaft center bearing.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys, 07 q7 s-line here 4.2. I too have a leak problem. took it to my local audi dealer in manhattan, they told me the car had a huge oil leak and they had to reseal the engine, I've only got the oil min light once in 9 months. i don't see how its huge oil leak. well total parts and labor about $8000 +. Obviously I'm not going to pay that. any idea on what to check?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello JAV0520. I had a pre-purchase inspection performed on my Q7 before I bought it, one of the things the technician did was to remove the oil filler cap while the engine is running and listen for any changes in the sound, which may indicate a crankcase ventilation problem. If the engine is experiencing internal pressure this would tend to push gaskets and oil outwards. I've also heard there can be issues with the oil separator which is located underneath the intake manifold. The other usual suspects are the cam covers and oil pan. It would be great if an Audi Tech would jump into this thread and educate us....anyone....anyone.....???
Old 01-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the funny thing is that i only smell hot oil whenever i do sharp right turns. it's very weird to me.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What you describe sounds like your passenger side cam chain tensioner gasket. (and half moon).
Which is located on the back of the passenger head.
I found some good videos to study.
same engine, but yours is a little bigger, same design.
Hope this will get you in the right area.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i hope thats the problem. looks like its wouldn't cost $8k to fix. I'm taking it to and indie shop sometime next month. ill post up results.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree $8,000 is a ridiculous amount to charge and I can't imagine how they come up with that number. Yesterday the weather was nice and sunny so I opened the hood and looked all over the passenger's side of the motor for potential oil leaks but it is so bloody cramped in there I couldn't see anything! Next I'm thinking I will pull off the right-front wheel and remove the inner fender panels if possible....to try and expose the engine a bit.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would like to tell you about my leak, the plastic oil seperator developed an oil leak through a crack in the molded poly case. FYI

Quick Reply: Q7 with 4.2 - Oil Leaks