Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 with 4.2 - Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i still haven't found the leak source on my q7. I'm waiting so it can get warmer here in NYC and give the entire engine and under carriage a good wash to help determine where the leak is coming from. right now, its all over the place.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I have had a similar oil leak in my 07 Q7 V8 FSI, it was described as oil leaking into the the oil seperator and then spilling over with movement. It was fixed by replacing the oil seperator and valve gaskets. Sounds like the same symptoms but I never looked at it myself...if I did a turn or hit bumps that cause a sway, I would smell oil burning and it would go away shortly, no oil was hitting the ground. It also happened when it sat idling for a long time while clearing snow and then backed out of the drive which is not level. It eventually started getting worse rapidly. They replaced the valve gaskets and the oil seperator for just under $1,000 at a Indy shop. Hope that helps! But 300 miles after that and a body throttle replacement I now have engine timing issues which is a whole other thing I'll be posting seperately.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Hello AudiDiva....your symptoms sound very similar to mine. I even borrowed a bore-scope to try and find the oil leak...no luck. I just ordered a repair manual for the Q7 and it should arrive tomorrow, I'll review it and see what all is involved with doing the oil separator job. I'll be sure and post some pics when I dig into this.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Which manual did you get? If you got the Bentley on DVD, you have to install it on Windows XP. I revived my wife's old Inspiron for use with my Bentley manuals. The manual is pretty good, includes the wiring diagrams, TSB's, etc.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Guys, I have the same issue with my Audi Q7 4.2 2007. We have replaced the oil filter housing o rings that come under the intake twice along with the cover gasket that houses the valves under the manifold. No luck. Oil seems to collect in the valley area and after a drive it comes out of the hole in the front of the engine on the Drivers side and seeps to the bottom of the pan. Breaking our head about this and cant seem to figure it out. The separator looks good. Anybody have any more info?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
Which manual did you get? If you got the Bentley on DVD, you have to install it on Windows XP. I revived my wife's old Inspiron for use with my Bentley manuals. The manual is pretty good, includes the wiring diagrams, TSB's, etc.
Bentley now has a web version of the manuals for those with a windows license. I'm not sure if it's still in beta but it has worked well for me. http://ebahn.bentleypublishers.com
Old 06-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oil seperator is realatively easy, take off the air intake to the throttle body. Replace oil seperator, reinstall intake.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markray
Oil seperator is realatively easy, take off the air intake to the throttle body. Replace oil seperator, reinstall intake.
in 4.2, oil separator held by two screws. One outlet to breather tube, one to throttle body, one to oil drain tube. No need to remove air intake.

To remove,
1. Take off breather tube by squeeze plastic tabs then pull off.
2. Remove 2 screws behind oil separator.
3. Carefully push and twist toward fire wall to remove oil separator from throttle body. you'll damage drain tube if you yank oil separator off.
4. Take off drain tube by pry open one time use clamp.

Install new one with new clamp for drain tube
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You will have to remove some of the intake anyways, I remember it needed to be completely removed for room to work. I recommend following the audi procedure which one will remove the intake to the throttle body. But do what u want.

Last edited by markray; 07-01-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm taking my 4.2 to the Dealer this Friday and lets see what they are going to find.

Quick Reply: Q7 with 4.2 - Oil Leaks