Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Best All Season Tire Money Can Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Our Continental DWS finally got to the replacement point and I chose to replace them with Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus. Reading this thread over recent weeks did influence my decision not to go back with the Continentals but to try the Pirelli's. My initial impressions are consistent with the things posted here. The Pirelli's are crisper. The stiffer sidewalls yield more immediate turn in response. Unfortunately the most noticeable difference is that these tires are noisier than the Continentals. When on rougher textured pavement or concrete with expansion joints they have a ringing sound that was not present with the Continentals even when they were worn to the tread wear warning bars. It is not terrible but the Continental DWS is a really quiet tire if that's important to you. I do hope to get better longevity from of the Pirellis than we got from the Continentals. Each of our sets of Continentals lasted 33,000 miles
Old 12-12-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I used to work for a tire distributor.

My last 4 sets have been Conti DWS 06, and I live in Iowa. Dry, Wet and Snow...

The performance gains on the others are marginal compared to the price. I would say you lose maybe 5% dry grip, but wet and snow, the DWS kills. Price and mileage should just be the cherry on top.

Oh, and Conti makes the smallest margin on any of the above mentioned tires, btw... You're buying tire, not advertising.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Stoliguy
I used to work for a tire distributor.

My last 4 sets have been Conti DWS 06, and I live in Iowa. Dry, Wet and Snow...

The performance gains on the others are marginal compared to the price. I would say you lose maybe 5% dry grip, but wet and snow, the DWS kills. Price and mileage should just be the cherry on top.

Oh, and Conti makes the smallest margin on any of the above mentioned tires, btw... You're buying tire, not advertising.
I've had three sets of DWS and three sets of DW. I agree that they are great tires especially when it is wet. A few years back I had a new set of DWs on my TT Quattro Coupe at a BMW track event at Road Atlanta in March. It rained nearly all weekend and I had a blast! That little AUDI and I ruled my group that weekend 😉
Old 12-12-2016, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Our Continental DWS finally got to the replacement point and I chose to replace them with Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus. Reading this thread over recent weeks did influence my decision not to go back with the Continentals but to try the Pirelli's. My initial impressions are consistent with the things posted here. The Pirelli's are crisper. The stiffer sidewalls yield more immediate turn in response. Unfortunately the most noticeable difference is that these tires are noisier than the Continentals. When on rougher textured pavement or concrete with expansion joints they have a ringing sound that was not present with the Continentals even when they were worn to the tread wear warning bars. It is not terrible but the Continental DWS is a really quiet tire if that's important to you. I do hope to get better longevity from of the Pirellis than we got from the Continentals. Each of our sets of Continentals lasted 33,000 miles
Hi JP,

I saw some people complaint about when conti DWS 06 is very noisy when the tread is about 1/2 tread left but initially it was very quiet. what about you?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Meyecul
When I had my 2013 TDI, I bought the Scorpion Verde Plus not long after they came out. By far superior both in noise and tread wear compared to the OEM Pirelli Asimmetrico that came on the vehicle. Tread on the Verde Plus looked nearly good as new when I traded it in on my 2017 Q7. I highly recommend the Scorpion Verde but make sure you get the "PLUS" as they also make a standard version.
What do you think of the 21" wheels? I'm about to pick up a 2017 Q7 with AC like yours but considering having the dealer put stock 19" wheels on it.

I want a quiet ride, not aggressive driver
Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFBayQ7
What do you think of the 21" wheels? I'm about to pick up a 2017 Q7 with AC like yours but considering having the dealer put stock 19" wheels on it.

I want a quiet ride, not aggressive driver
1st thing, DWS is an absolute stickler for rotation. Any more than 3000 miles and they'll get noisy. Also alignment has to be spot on.

bigger wheels and smaller sidewalls will always give a stiffer noisier rude, all other things being equal. That being said, a vehicle designed for a size should be used with that size. The engineers know what they're doing.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by patrol19th
Hi JP,

I saw some people complaint about when conti DWS 06 is very noisy when the tread is about 1/2 tread left but initially it was very quiet. what about you?
Both sets of DWS that we had on our Q7 stayed quiet right down to the tread wear bars. Same with the A6 we had before it. My only complaints were the somewhat vague turn in response from the soft sidewall and the life being a bit shorter than I expected. They are good though. I almost bought another set instead of trying the newer Scorpion plus. ( remember too that I had DWS not the new DWS 06. )
Old 12-19-2016, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Both sets of DWS that we had on our Q7 stayed quiet right down to the tread wear bars. Same with the A6 we had before it. My only complaints were the somewhat vague turn in response from the soft sidewall and the life being a bit shorter than I expected. They are good though. I almost bought another set instead of trying the newer Scorpion plus. ( remember too that I had DWS not the new DWS 06. )
Thank you for your input.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was back-and-forth between the Verde Plus and the DWS06... but ultimately went with the Conti's because they seemed to have the best snow performance in all the reviews I read. Have used them over 1,000 miles so far.

1. We've had a couple snowfalls already. The first snow was a sticky snow and had slushy conditions. The tires were light-years better than the Asimmetrico's that came stock on my vehicle. They gripped awesome. Complete confidence while driving as it was coming down.

2. Second snow was the type that packed down hard on the road and caked into the treads. It would squirrel out on me on tight turns a bit (ie: turning into a parking lot), but I noticed I was doing MUCH better than other cars and SUVs. Easily manageable and to be fair, I was going into them a bit speedier than I should have in hindsight. After I slowed down a little, things were fine.

3. For normal conditions (sunny, warmer) the drive is quieter and softer than the OEMs. Turning is a little less crisp for sure, but it is definitely a more comfortable cruising tire on long hauls. Much less noise, much better grip when needed.

4. The profile of them is more "chunky-aggressive" than the Asimmetrico's, but it's not like this is a Cayenne Turbo.. so whatever.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stuffinder
I've had very good luck with Nokian WR G3's on A6 and they are avaolable in 275/45/20.
I've heard that they have soft sidewalls. Any issues with that?

Quick Reply: Q7 Best All Season Tire Money Can Buy?