Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Mileage Life Expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only replaced things that wear. One item that broke was a glove box hinge. I had to replace the entire box (I don't think this is uncommon as this has also broken on my 2008 A4 and my brother's 2006 A4). I also replaced the horns about 5,000 miles ago. Most of my driving is in Winter from NJ to Lake Placid (we're at Whiteface most every weekend) with frequent side trips to Ottawa and Montreal. I replaced the thermostat, Summer 2014.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter B.
I've only replaced things that wear. One item that broke was a glove box hinge. I had to replace the entire box (I don't think this is uncommon as this has also broken on my 2008 A4 and my brother's 2006 A4). I also replaced the horns about 5,000 miles ago. Most of my driving is in Winter from NJ to Lake Placid (we're at Whiteface most every weekend) with frequent side trips to Ottawa and Montreal. I replaced the thermostat, Summer 2014.

That's good to hear, I was wondering about the glovebox, it's a nice design but just completely stupid, I don't understand why Audi couldn't have just had a pull latch, they had to be different and have a button, I'm expecting wear items on my Q7, just a little worried about carbon build up. Funny! I used to live in in the Lake Placid Area until last fall! I've probably seen your car before! On Tuesday I took the Q7 up that highway that Whiteface is on through Wilmington, "The Notch" as locals call it, and the Q7 was a blast around the corners I'm surprised there isn't some kind of Euro car festival there in the summer, It'd be a perfect place for it! Or a F1 race track!! Now that would be cool!!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q7 Mileage Life Expectancy?

Preventive maintenance is your best bet. Regular oil changes, quality oil and fuel. Sunroof drains, cowl drains. A deep clean every season to scoop up salt and mud and an underbody rinse if you live up north. Scan often to find any trouble before they pop up. Recently my hvac blower died but at 200000 km it's normal. Right now the problems I have are intelligent door handles, all 4 have failed and the rear door speakers that most likely have a bad ground. You'll see the lower ball joint comes as an entire unit with the arm, some companies offer lifetime warranty at half price but also half the life of the original. If you have trouble, post your problems here, we'll help you out.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by B490MTL
Preventive maintenance is your best bet. Regular oil changes, quality oil and fuel. Sunroof drains, cowl drains. A deep clean every season to scoop up salt and mud and an underbody rinse if you live up north. Scan often to find any trouble before they pop up. Recently my hvac blower died but at 200000 km it's normal. Right now the problems I have are intelligent door handles, all 4 have failed and the rear door speakers that most likely have a bad ground. You'll see the lower ball joint comes as an entire unit with the arm, some companies offer lifetime warranty at half price but also half the life of the original. If you have trouble, post your problems here, we'll help you out.
The sunroof drains scare me so much, the dealer I bought it from said they replaced them all "just for the piece of mind" but I'm not sure if I believe them, salt is the killer here up north, I've got slight rust starting in the rear wheel well but that's it, I need to have it fixed before winter, I have that scanner called "Carista" for the IPhone and it lets me customize and scan for problems, it's pretty cool, how often should I do an oil change, there is a recommended date and mileage, as of right now I'm past the date that it needed service, (by a few weeks, but still have about a few hundred miles until I reach the suggested mileage reading for service.. Any advice? What's more important? The date? Or mileage reading?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm a firm believer of oil being in an engine no longer than 6mo or 5k miles, whichever comes first. Especially FSI engines that can get nasty sludge in the intake tract. 5w40 full synthetic is what is called for. I've only ever used Mahle or Mann oil filters, though on a rare occasion I'll use a Bosch. Mahle makes our pistons (typically) and they (and/or Mann) make the factory filters, so they know a thing or two about our engines.

Sun roof drains aren't bad if you catch them as soon as possible and have them fixed, even if it is one at a time. I had one done on the 4.2 at a dealer, honestly wasn't that bad of abuse on the wallet, plus the staff there is excellent.

The mirrors fold well on the 4.2, but my 3.6 needs attention, and the pano roof got stuck half-open right before we went on vacation last week (and we were taking the 3.6). I got the roof closed and haven't touched it since. Going to look up in the repair manual on were the grease points are for the motor/cables and slides, ditto for the mirrors. If I can't get the roof fixed myself, I'll take it back down to the dealership that worked on my 4.2 and see what they say. If it is stupid expensive, I'll just not use the roof (back roof opens fine).
Old 07-27-2015, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B490MTL
Hi B490MTL, Was wondering what issues you were having with your door handles? I currently have an issue with my door handles not recognizing both my key fobs when I reach for the door handles. The car does not unlock/lock and my start/stop button doesn't work either. Car is at the dealer and they're not quite sure what the problem is at the moment.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q7 Mileage Life Expectancy?

My problem is the wiring inside the door handles, corrosion and wear chewed up the wires so now they short, the don't lock anymore nor recognize when I touch them but if I pull once they still unlock. Start/stop button works flawlessly however, I suspect maybe the receiver antennas on your truck went bad.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default as long as you want it to!

"How long do you all think that the Q7 will last? "
Personally I believe that any (well most any) car made today with the technology we have will last easily for a million miles if.....
you take the time and care to service it properly (or fanatically in my case) and keep everything in proper working order. I over service all my cars and have done so for years and typically when I go to sell one it is sold to the first person who drives it as this care shows. Audi says our trans is "good for life" wrong....no unit that is not 100% sealed can ever have its fluid last for ever. Change it....yes it costs a few bucks but its well worth the expense if you like your car. I think most people sell their cars and get new ones because they are tired of them or they get wrecked.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think I just found the highest mileage Q7 for sale. 278k miles! Crazy! I think it's awesome!!! I'm curious to see how many Q7s are still on the road in 5-10 years. There are still 98-04 C5 A6's chugging around with 250k+ with no issues. Audi makes good cars.

2007 Audi Q7 4.2 liter, 350 hp, V8, 4WD

Old 03-22-2022, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 07 Q7 with 240k miles

I bought it with 229k miles with a bad headgasket, pcv (built into the valve cover), the common rear sunroof leaking on to the amplifier and taking out the whole nav/radio, and other smaller issues. I corrected them myself and have put just over 11k miles and haven’t had any other issues
The following 2 users liked this post by Euroguy11:
Pothole5000 (03-23-2022), Tacmo (03-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Q7 Mileage Life Expectancy?