Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Owners - Need Help Verifying "Normality"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Owners - Need Help Verifying "Normality"

Hi Q7 owners, I need some help verifying whether what the dealership is telling me is normal. I have a 2013 S-Line with 8,000 miles on it now, which I purchased new.

The issue I'm looking for feedback on is windshield wiper fluid that appears to disappear from the tank when I know that I'm not using it. Example: I wash the car, clean under the hood and notice that the WWF tank can be topped off. I add about 1/2 gallon of fluid, close the hood and continue on. I drive the car for about 5 days (usually less than 8 miles a day) and do not use the windshield wiper fluid. I go to wash the car again and notice that i don't see any fluid visible in the WWF bottleneck, so I go to top it off. Once again it takes about 1/2 gallon.

There are no leaks visible anywhere (garage floor, driveway, parking spots at work, etc.). The dealership has taken things apart to try to track fluid under the wheel wells, etc. - nothing. There are some dried residue spots near the WWF cap though.

I also noticed that if the car sits in the garage for a week and isnt driven, there's no fluid loss. I've informed the dealership of this.

I've had the car serviced for this about 9 times now. History is as follows:

1.) Once they replaced the neck filler
2.) On another occasion they indicated that no leak was found and no traces of active leak
3.) Next visit, they let the vehicle sit for 4 days - no leaks found, did not drop fluid level (after I told them the fluid doesnt drop if the car isnt driven)
4.) On another visit they topped off the fluid level in front of me at my request (1/2 gallon's worth), kept car sitting for three days with no leaks
5.) Next visit, they topped off the fluid and that i should be advised there are vent holes in the top of the neck filler (just under the blue cap) and this can cause some fluid to leak out. Instructed not to fill the solvent to the very top.
6.) Next visit, "could not verify concern at this time, test drove vehicle and let it sit, no leaks detected at this time
7.) Next visit, "washer fluid cap failed, replaced leaking washer fluid cap"
8.) Next visit, replaced faulty cap - again
9.) Next visit, I'm told this is normal for Q7's. the fluid splashes out while the car is drive

Is the Q7 "engineered" to lose 1/2 gallon of WWF? I may understand a bit of fluid loss splashing out if there are vent holes by the top of tyhe neck filler, but 1/2 gallon's worth??? Are you guys experiencing the same thing, or is there something really wrong with mine and Audi doesn't know how to fix it?

At this point, this is more of an annoyance for me more than anything.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a fairly common issue which some cars seem to have.
Mine is fine and just uses what I would expect - I top it up every couple of months and it seems directly proportionate to use so I would say it 'looses' none.

It must go somewhere, obviously. I think there must be a leak in the tube which feeds the rear washer. It stands to reason that the feed to the rear follows a more tortuous route through the roof lining to the tailgate. I don't know if it runs under the floorpan and up in a rear pillar or up in the front windscreen pillars then through the full length of the rooflining. If it's under the floor, it may be possible to trace it and thy repeatedly washing the rear window while parked and see if any leaks show - it will drip at some point, it has to. Just hope the leak is outside and not inside the car!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd imagine the washer fluid system can't be sealed based on the sheer volume of fluid that the pumps can move, particularly when running the headlight washers- you wouldn't want to run the pump against the vacuum created when pumping fluid out of the reservoir were it a sealed system.

So the most logical place to vent it probably is at the top of the reservoir, which is consistent with what the dealer is telling you (I have no inside knowledge on this, just speculating). It still seems like an excessive amount of fluid to lose as a "normal" behavior of the system though.

I've never paid attention to it on ours. At least you have a good dealer who is seemingly being patient with you on this issue after 9 service claims. I bet some dealers would have stopped trying after the 3rd or 4th request to address the problem.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wahser fluid

I've never paid that close attention to the washer fluid usage. I usually just refill whenever the warning light comes on and it usually takes close to a gallon at that point. That usually does not happen with any frequency. If you did not fill it whenever you notice it's gone from the filler neck, how long would it take for the warning to come on?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ive never gotten to the point of having the warning light come on. I rarely use the windshield wiper fluid, but noticed that the fluid level drops so I started paying more attention to it and came across the results i mentioned. Just seeing what others are experiencing. Thanks all.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello! Some time ago I have noticed the same. If I refill the fluid to the top and drove for short distance even without using it I noticed that fluid level was less. I started to observe it and I refill it to the top again. Again the same story... After third test I noticed same fluid under the car. The problem in my case was the top of the reservoir and the cover (blue cap). Probably there is same preasure in the system and fluid goes out of it between the cap and top of the reservoir. Finally I made the last test, I prepared simply seal from the rubber, I put it under the cap and refill it one more time. It turned out that the level of the fluid stays on the same level after driving, so I closed the subject forgot about it.