Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Tail light configuration question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am having the exact same issue but with a 2013 q7 that i just picked up.

Has anyone figured this out or am i going to have to go to the dealership?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by theindyprince
Am having the exact same issue but with a 2013 q7 that i just picked up.

Has anyone figured this out or am i going to have to go to the dealership?
did you stop your tailgate at an intermediate position, perhaps to carry a load with the tailgate open?

Try cycling the tailgate through a complete open/close cycle but with an object blocking it from closing, it will reverse.

Remove the object and cycle again, that should reset the tailgate logic and revert the taillights back to the big LEDs on the tailgate instead of the little ones in the bumper...

Cheers
George
Old 07-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This has happened with my new Q7 also. My service manager tells me there is a technical bulletin out about aligning the switch with the hatch lock, and that one of his techs can do it in a very few minutes. So, when the 5000 mile service comes, I'll have it repaired.

BUT, my fix is two pieces of double-sided tape, like 3M makes, cut to fit on the front surface of the latch body and increase the thickness by about 1-2 mm. And that fixed it for now!

Hope this helps someone else!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Not need to buy sensors!!

I got the same problem on a new 2013 Q7. I read in another post that there is a technical Bulletin which consist on a bad alignment between the sensors and the hatch that cause the emergency lights to work instead of the upper ones. The car thinks the back door is still opened so it is a normal procedure to switch the operation of the lights. To verify you have this problem just push the sensors (there are 2) with your fingers while the door is open and you will see how the lights go on.

A quick fix is to make thicker (1mm worked for me) the part of the hatch that face the sensors when it's closed it can hit the sensor.

The dealer should fix it anyway at $0 cost.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Something else I never knew about the Q7, had it 5 months and still finding out new stuff

At first I thought they were just reflectors. I've only ever seen them flash after closing the boot lid if the car is already locked.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AUJ
Just to build on knowledge base: There will be fault codes 02914 and 02915 as well as 2 lamp codes.

Emergency function
In the event of a fault in switches G525 and G526,
the system switches over from the main rear lights
in the tailgate to the additional rear lights in the
bumper. This action is not indicated in the dash
panel insert.
In this case, a new attempt to switch on the main
rear lights in the tailgate is not made until the next
ignition OFF/ON cycle.

So, no dash warning.

These sensors are actually micro-switches G525 (red,left) and G526 (red, right). There is actually a flap (yellow) that operates the open or closed position of the two micro-switches.

The micro-switches feed the CAN-BUS convenience system central control unit 2 J773 which directs the operations. Am hoping to dig into it soon.

im having this same problem. they work sometimes, but it seems random. where is this part locations? where exactly are these sensors? i cannot seem to find them, or at least i dont know which ones they are.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 951 driver
This has happened with my new Q7 also. My service manager tells me there is a technical bulletin out about aligning the switch with the hatch lock, and that one of his techs can do it in a very few minutes. So, when the 5000 mile service comes, I'll have it repaired.

BUT, my fix is two pieces of double-sided tape, like 3M makes, cut to fit on the front surface of the latch body and increase the thickness by about 1-2 mm. And that fixed it for now!

Hope this helps someone else!
can you point me to exactly where you are talking about? picture maybe?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by strevino
I got the same problem on a new 2013 Q7. I read in another post that there is a technical Bulletin which consist on a bad alignment between the sensors and the hatch that cause the emergency lights to work instead of the upper ones. The car thinks the back door is still opened so it is a normal procedure to switch the operation of the lights. To verify you have this problem just push the sensors (there are 2) with your fingers while the door is open and you will see how the lights go on.

A quick fix is to make thicker (1mm worked for me) the part of the hatch that face the sensors when it's closed it can hit the sensor.

The dealer should fix it anyway at $0 cost.
where are these sensors? any pictures please?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

never mind, i figured it out last night. couldnt adjust it work hit the switchs to release the on the sensor buttons. had to use double sided tape on lock, but at least my tails work now.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have 2012, Audi Q5 Rear Main Tail Lights are out only Bumper Small Lights are working, I goes through all Fuses and Every things was OK, Finally I Hooked Up My Snap On Solus Ultra Diagnostics Scanner and Serch for Troubble code found Code 02914 and Massage: SENSOR 1 FOR TRUNK/ CLOSED (G525) OPEN CERCUIT / SHORT WITH POWER. and Code 02915 SENSOR 2, TRUNK/HATCH CLOSED (G525) OPEN CERCUIT / SHORT WITH POWER. It is similer to your post on Q7 Tail Lights Configureation Quation. please be advice if the same methods can use to solved, Q5 too. Thanks! NaveenP

Quick Reply: Q7 Tail light configuration question