Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Tail light configuration question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buguu
I got the same problem. Did you fix it?
No, still have the problem intermittently. Every other time I open the hatch and close it, it reverts to the bumper lights instead of the tail lights. Sometimes it will indicate the hatch is open on the dash and sometimes it won't. It's very sporadic. I tried putting thick tape on the actuator piece located on the hatch itself, thinking the sensors/micro switches weren't being pushed in far enough. I saw another thread that talked about their hatch looking like it had a slight gap in it when it was closed and mine kinda looks like that too, but I had no reference to compare it to.

My next move was to replace that latch piece on the hatch itself, as I understand that may cause latching problems as well as hatch open indication issues. Up until this winter, I never had problems with the hatch staying closed, until one very cold morning the hatch went down and popped back open a few inches. I saw that problem in a thread here as well and I think that latch piece fixed it for one or two people. But after the cold snapped, it stopped happening. I'm also thinking I might change out the comfort module, as my lane watch assist works very sporadic as well. I was told that may be a safety function though, so if the car detects the latch is open, it will disable certain other systems or functions. I ran a vag-com scan and it came back with some sort of irregular signal reading from the sensors/switches, and since the problem persists with both the old sensor and new sensor, the only other thing I can think of is a harness problem or the module itself.

I've just dealt with the issue for now, but I am going to dive back into it as the weather breaks into spring. If I get the issue resolved or find out any additional info, I'll certainly post a followup.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by trackfactory
No, still have the problem intermittently.
I've just dealt with the issue for now, but I am going to dive back into it as the weather breaks into spring. If I get the issue resolved or find out any additional info, I'll certainly post a followup.
My problem is different from yours. When the hatch is closed, lights are always switched to tail. But there is an error on dash indicating the hatch is not closed. Every time I close it, an actuator is engaged to fasten the hatch, but it cannot stop at designed position. It keeps fastening until it reaches the limit with 5 or 6 "click, click, click...." I tested the G525 and G526. Get same results as yours.
The problem comes to me after a long trip last winter. I parked my Q7 on my friend's driveway for a month. There may be a leak. When I returned, I found the trunk was flooded. Then 1 or 2 weeks later, my Q7 got this problem. I doubt there is something wrong on the actuator……
Old 11-13-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default AUDI TEHCNICAL BULLETIN SERVICE

Hi,
hope these files clarify this situation on q7 tail lights
Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! Short and right on the subject.
Did anyone tried to by-pass 'lid closed' sensors by short-circuiting them and get rid of this problem once for all, or is it gonna confuse 'intelligent fricken module'?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any pictures on where to stick the double sided tape on? I’m confused. Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by brucebanner
never mind, i figured it out last night. couldnt adjust it work hit the switchs to release the on the sensor buttons. had to use double sided tape on lock, but at least my tails work now.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Finally something I can try

Originally Posted by rgc92231
Hi,
hope these files clarify this situation on q7 tail lights
Wow! Thanks for posting those bulletins! Wish I had this info before. I had all but given up on the issue, then I started to suspect a mis-aligned hatch, due to the hatch looking like the gap between it and the body seeming to large as compared to other Q7s I saw. I searched hi and low trying to find any info on adjusting the hatch position, but to no avail! The only think I could find referenced the spring the the latch mechanism starting to stretch out and not being taught enough to pull the hatch closed fully.

When the weather breaks, I'm going to try these bulletins.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello, Were you able to resolve this problem and how?
Both tail lights on the hatch stopped working permanently (was working intermittently since I purchased my 2013 Q7).
Thanks.