Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI deal in hand - which would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 TDI deal in hand - which would you do?

Hi - first time here. Apologies if redundant post.

for the same $50K price, my two options today are

1) brand new 2014 Lexus GX 460 Premium package ( $56k MSRP)
OR
2) 2013 CPO Q7 TDI Premium Plus with 11K miles and 5 yrs warranty remaining.

IMHO, the Q7 drives better and has far better mileage. It's a little longer

The Lexus had the edge on the interiors: felt more luxurious, appears to have superior electronic features included (i.e, Nav shows live traffic, whereas Audi doesn't) , and the true 4WD also should do better during the bimonthly trips to the winter sierras and accompanying storms on the highway.

I drive about 6-7K miles per year, about 60% highway. Occasionally put on a 1,000 mile roadtrip around the west. Will prob keep the car 10 + years.

Thoughts about durability, upkeep costs, resale value?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on what you're describing, if the prices are indeed identical, I'd get the Lexus. Sure, this is an Audi forum, but hear me out:

It's brand new, for one. And if you like the Lexus interior (I didn't - I still saw a lot of 4-Runner, probably because I looked at the Lexus immediately after the Toyota), it's arguably a more modern vehicle from an electronics standpoint. If you truly do go off road, the 4-Runner underpinnings will definitely serve you better. Q7 is an excellent road and soft road car, but lacks true off road equipment like low range and manually locking differentials that the Lexus has - it really is a truck, whereas the Q7 is more of a tall car in many ways. And of course there's the Lexus reliability factor. Audi isn't too bad, but Lexus seems to have that end figured out a little better. Ditto on resale in many parts of the country.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

audi shows true live traffic and has a separate menu for traffic updates under the "info" tab.

upkeep costs and reliability may be a concern down the road on the audi since it would be more than the lexus but overall you're getting more car for your money and you'll have better resale value but after ten years it's negligible between the two.

i don't have any experience with the new gx but every lexus i ever sat in or drove just felt watered down and very numb. nothing really jumped out at me or really sold me on it.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I get live traffic in my Q7.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:20 AM

If you're worried about Audi AWD.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
I get live traffic in my Q7.
Thank you. Do you pay extra for it? I was under the impression you had to susbscribe to the audi service to get it on the 2013 TDI Premium Plus.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
audi shows true live traffic and has a separate menu for traffic updates under the "info" tab.

upkeep costs and reliability may be a concern down the road on the audi since it would be more than the lexus but overall you're getting more car for your money and you'll have better resale value but after ten years it's negligible between the two.

i don't have any experience with the new gx but every lexus i ever sat in or drove just felt watered down and very numb. nothing really jumped out at me or really sold me on it.
Thank you. Do you pay extra for it? I was under the impression you had to susbscribe to the audi service to get it on the 2013 TDI Premium Plus.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Q7 TDI is worth extra for its ride. handling and gas mileage. IMHO.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by audihoya
I believe it's SiriusXm Traffic that's tied to navigation, free for 4 years on 2013 and later models.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

These choices involve personal tastes and preferences. Mine would be different than yours. The Audi AWD system is awesome in snow and ice and I seriously doubt that true 4WD would add anything to your experience in snow or ice. Why? Because when there's no traction, there's no traction not matter how many wheels you drive and how you drive them.

I thought the Lexus was very luxurious and had lots of the latest electronic gadgets. To me the handling was like a numb truck. Dead silent ride totally insulated from the outside world. You may like that, I didn't. The Q7 handles and feels much better. So much better I'd wager it's better on ice and snow because it is nimble and communicates to the driver.

You might want to make sure that all the Audi gadgets and features have been fully explained to you. It isn't exactly lame when it comes to options. I am curious what the Lexus has that the Audi doesn't. If it's an important feature that's missing you've made your decision.

I have owned diesel cars since 2006 and IMHO they rule. Much better efficiency but also much better low end torque. Last November I bought an A6 TDI over a 3.0TFSI gas model because I prefer the engine performance. Diesels have gobs of power off the line and when you need to pass. I am pretty sure the Q7 TDI would put the Lexus to shame passing from 35-55 or 55-75mph. It moves.

But this is your choice not mine. You may like the looks, ride, and driving feel of the Lexus more than the Audi and if you do, go for it. It's a great car that will give you bulletproof service--at least that's what all the surveys say. Don't see how you can go wrong either way.

Let your heart not your brain speak to you. Which will you like to drive and own better over the next few years?

Quick Reply: Q7 TDI deal in hand - which would you do?