Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI or Gas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the Diesel. After owning now 3 Audi TDI's I love the drivability and characteristics of a diesel. Low end torque that scoots you along in almost all driving conditions where you want it the most.

Also, the cost for us is a non-factor as I know I will easily make my money back on the resale end when we eventually sell. European diesels always command more money and are highly desired.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bklyn_Quattro
+1 for the 'gasser'; even with gas prices as low as they've been in years, diesel prices have been at best .30 cents more than premium in NY, plus the premium you pay for the diesel engine over the gas engine..
I don't think anyone buys a Q7 for value. Yes, diesel costs more up front but at pump mileage offsets premium to premium petrol.

Torque on diesel is outstanding if you tow. So much better than winding up the rpm's.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My decision to buy a gas vs diesel version won't be driven based on the price difference between the two. Prices differences at the pump are minimal considering the higher mileage. Otherwise I would have purchased a "more powerful" Cadillac CTS-V using my wife's GM employee discount instead of my S6. Domestic brand buyers looking to buy a performance car are probably justifying the price difference logic resulting in not buying a German brand. I know of friends who don't buy German brands because of the higher operating costs like having to use premium gasoline or expensive oil changes.

Moral of the story - buy what you are comfortable to afford and enjoy your ride. No justification needed

Last edited by s5blitzer; 02-22-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MiQ7TDI
I don't think anyone buys a Q7 for value. Yes, diesel costs more up front but at pump mileage offsets premium to premium petrol.

Torque on diesel is outstanding if you tow. So much better than winding up the rpm's.
I don't tow and likely never will, hence my decision to go with the 3.0T. Someone on the forum did a cost analysis a few years ago comparing the difference in not only cost of fuel, but the 3-5K difference in price of the diesel engine; it takes years to make up that difference in $. To each their own as people say...
Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
My decision to buy a gas vs diesel version won't be driven based on the price difference between the two. Prices differences at the pump are minimal considering the higher mileage. Otherwise I would have purchased a "more powerful" Cadillac CTS-V using my wife's GM employee discount instead of my S6. Domestic brand buyers looking to buy a performance car are probably justifying the price difference logic resulting in not buying a German brand. I know of friends who don't buy German brands because of the higher operating costs like having to use premium gasoline or expensive oil changes.

Moral of the story - buy what you are comfortable to afford and enjoy your ride. No justification needed
THIS exactly. well said!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bklyn_Quattro
I don't tow and likely never will, hence my decision to go with the 3.0T. Someone on the forum did a cost analysis a few years ago comparing the difference in not only cost of fuel, but the 3-5K difference in price of the diesel engine; it takes years to make up that difference in $. To each their own as people say...
The cost difference is not simple. It is not just the fuel cost, engine cost, maintenance cost etc. There is a resale difference (probably recapturing most of the initial added engine cost) and most important for many TDI drivers the time saving of not having to fill up so frequently - with comparable acceleration/performance (at least for A6/A7 TFSI vs TDI) .
Old 03-03-2015, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I like Diesel engines to be honest the TQ cure is so fun to drive in, I have a Dodge Ram with the Cummins engine and I just love it. + I tend to keep cars a long period of time VS replacing often.... current cars I have owned for the past 9 years...

So I think we will go with the TDI at this point... biggest issue now is finding one we like, with out spending all of our money
Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TDI all the way, maintenance cost is low, a DIY can do all of it. Don't have to worry about any spark plugs or coils or wires, or cam seals. Just change oil, fuel filter. every 10, and 20,000 miles.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Gasser all the way....can't take that Ad Blue. I had an ML 350 traded it in just cause I hated that ad blue soo much. In all fairness I've never owned a TDI from Audi.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Love the TDI. 25k miles in, and haven't even had to service the AdBlue, although I suspect it was topped off the one time I took it to the dealer for 15k mile service.

Quick Reply: Q7 TDI or Gas.