Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI or gas and why

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 TDI or gas and why

I'm trying to decide between a 2011 Q7 3.0t with 43k miles or a 2012 Q7 TDI with 49k miles. It will be my first luxury SUV. Both are CPO and both have premium plus pkg. I drive mostly in the city about 65 miles a day to and from work and shuttling kids. Which Q7 is your preference and why?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Diesel is generally for long hauls, highway driving, road trips etc. If you're mileage is mainly comprised of city driving and commuting the benefits of diesel would be marginal and depending on your area the price of diesel may be more than the standard gasoline.

What is the price difference in the two? (Asking price. Not negotiated price.)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by iconoclast
Diesel is generally for long hauls, highway driving, road trips etc. If you're mileage is mainly comprised of city driving and commuting the benefits of diesel would be marginal and depending on your area the price of diesel may be more than the standard gasoline.

The 2011 gas is $41,500 and the 2012 TDI is $45,900.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The diesel is probably a better deal in terms of $$.

What is the difference in fuel costs in your area (diesel vs. premium gas) ?

Do you tend to keep vehicles a long time? Would you keep the TDI beyond the CPO term?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Recommend the TDI for better city/highway mileage and nice torque off the line which obviously negates the better mileage .... lol. I don't buy my cars based on mpg results.

Any incremental pricing over the regular gas version usually pays for itself if you plan on keeping the TDI longer.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got a 2012 for the wife (3.0T) not bad I must say.

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Recommend the TDI for better city/highway mileage and nice torque off the line which obviously negates the better mileage .... lol. I don't buy my cars based on mpg results.

Any incremental pricing over the regular gas version usually pays for itself if you plan on keeping the TDI longer.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by iconoclast

Does the gas engine not require Premium fuel (91 Octane)? If so, the difference in price should be negligible. I would think TDI would be much better in the long run in terms of resale value.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, the price diff at the pump is negligible. The city mpg diff is only 1 mpg, so that seems negligible too. I am a little heavy footed, which doesn't help..lol. Sounds like TDI will have better resale. If I start having problems close to the CPO expiration,
I'll get rid of it. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm having a case of analysis paralysis. The in service date difference is only 4 months between the two cars. The gas is black metallic (orca I think) and the diesel is a dark grey metallic. I am partial to the black.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
I don't buy my cars based on mpg results.
One of the advantages of the TDI is greater range (fewer stops to fill up) - more important to many of us than greater MPG. Thus about 25% of Q7 are purchased with TDI engines.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhaval Brahmbhatt
Does the gas engine not require Premium fuel (91 Octane)? If so, the difference in price should be negligible. I would think TDI would be much better in the long run in terms of resale value.
depends on the area... in some states it is cheaper than 93 in others it is more... unfortunately i am in one of the areas that generally there is a .10-.20c premium over shell93 v-power. the last time i filled up 93 was 4.539 and diesel was 4.739. i owned a v10 touareg when prices were insane and while it was relatively good on fuel for a 10 cylinder it still pinched a bit when i had to refill a 26gallon tank at just about $5 a gallon.

Quick Reply: Q7 TDI or gas and why