Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 tire wear

I have a 2014 Q7 TDI with 20" OEM Pirelli's. I'll be lucky to get 20k miles before at TWI. I knew this was expected, but still surprising.

Any suggestions for replacement?

Can you get prorated mileage warranty on stock towards replacement?

I'll definitely try to replace that way at Discount tire, who is good at honoring, for 3rd set.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are old, but I'm still running Conti 4x4 tires on S-Line 20s. Have over 30k miles on them and were just checked last week at the dealer with 5/32 of tread left. Been a great tire so far. Regular rotation/balance at 5k miles.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can't recall if I am on my 2nd or 3rd set of OEMs on my Q7 but my next set will be Yoko Prada which I have on my other car and expected to last at least 40K. The Goodyear on the other car was only getting 20K.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Mounted these on my 2011, will shortly mount on my 2014.

NT421Q Premier All-Season Crossover & SUV Tire

Nitto NT 421Q Review & Rating - Tire Reviews And Ratings
Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus. I've had the Yokohama Parada Spec X and they offer very little rim protection, and wore a bit better than the OEM Conti 4x4, but the Verde Plus are much better in terms of wear, while just as quiet and smooth, and they come with a 65k treadwear warranty. I highly doubt I'll get 65k with the Q7 since I've never gotten more than 27k from a set of tires (Yoko Parada Spec X), so it will be interesting to see how many miles I'll get from a set and if it comes short, how much they'll credit me towards my next set of tires. Been great so far however.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m&autoModClar=
Old 08-11-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the Verde Plus's on both Q7's. I squeezed 235/65-18's on the 3.6 with new-to-me factory 18" wheels (replaced super noisy, stiff, terrible riding Firestone 275/45-20's on the factory wheels). The 4.2 has the standard 265/xx-19's.

The 3.6 ride on steel suspension with that size tire is actually extremely good. I will say next time around I will get a wider tire, because these actually are only supposed to go up to a 8" wide wheel, and are mounted on an 8.5" wheel, so rim protection is not good. The 4.2 ride on air suspension (comfort) is just as good, if not better, than the 3.6. We leave that car in dynamic mode though, as it lowers the ride height which makes it easier for my wife and kids to get in and out (two of the three wear skirts or dresses with some regularity).

FYI, if you have a shop that will install tires purchased elsewhere, I found the best pricing on the Pirellis to be from Amazon. No joke. They were Prime as well, so I got four tires shipped for free, and a local shop mounted and balanced the set for about $65.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would there be issues trying to get the treadwear warranty covered when you buy from Amazon? I know there are certain restrictions these warranties require including proper tire rotations and mounting, and these all need to be well documented. Something I don't think I could have gotten buying them from Amazon, and having a local shop do the mounting and doing the tire rotations myself. So I went with Discount Tire since they have free rotations and flat repair anyways. Worth the extra $15 per tire for me.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all replies. I had Pirelli verdi's on wife's MDX which also chews threw tires, but probably do to age and other issues. Loved the Verde's except they wore prematurely. Discount tire gave very fair proration of warranty towards next set. I may go this route on Q7.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Would there be issues trying to get the treadwear warranty covered when you buy from Amazon? I know there are certain restrictions these warranties require including proper tire rotations and mounting, and these all need to be well documented. Something I don't think I could have gotten buying them from Amazon, and having a local shop do the mounting and doing the tire rotations myself. So I went with Discount Tire since they have free rotations and flat repair anyways. Worth the extra $15 per tire for me.
Warranty is ultimately provided by Pirelli, the place I use here locally for mounting/balancing is actually a Tire Rack recommended shop with all Hunter equipment. Shouldn't be much of an issue. The size I got was about $30/ea cheaper once figuring in shipping and raw tire cost.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment information

During my last alignment we noted the difference between comfort ride height and sport ride height (air suspension) the tow changed by 22mm!.... Hence I don't change my ride height anymore!

Quick Reply: Q7 tire wear