Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Transmission Fluid change on 35k and 75k?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Transmission Fluid change on 35k and 75k?

When do I have to change the transmission fluid on a 2008 audi q7?

I am checking the Scheduled Maintenance Intervals and I see change ATF with a bullet on the 35/75 section, so I believe that I have to change the fluid both on 35k and 75k?

can someone confirm this?

Thanks alot!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure thats check for leaks. Its sealed for life. As you drive 11.5k a year you have a while to go yet before you worry about this one.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally, I would change it with the filter.

MB used to say "sealed for life", but changed that when life seemed to end shortly after the warranty period ended. They now say to change fluid and filter at 60k km or 40k miles. I think that is excellent practice. Fluid and filter is a heckuva lot less expensive than a transmission rebuild or replace.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sealed for life fluid goes out of specification at an average of 100,000 miles. So I would not bother changing fluid much before 80,000 miles for the first time. If it is flushed then another 80,000 to 100,000 miles for the second change. If only the main box is drained the first time then, because only a proportion of the fluid is changed, I would personally change again every 40,000 miles after the first time.

Forget the filter change. There is no schedule for filter changes on automatics and if the filter should ever be blocked it will be because the transmission is already worn to the point of needing a major repair. In all probability the clutch disc linings will have worn away or a mechanical part will have worn out. Nothing lasts forever and certainly not automatic transmissions. The best you can hope for is 250,000 miles. Every day beyond 200,000 miles is a bonus.
For most average users driving 12,000 miles per year [more in early years and less as it gets older], then the fluid being in spec for 100,000 miles and the transmission wearing out to a final bang at 150,000 miles on the original fluid is acceptable. By that time it will be nearly 13 years old and the owner will feel that it has lasted adequately well, especially if it has been reliable up until that point. It will probably be scrapped if a major repair is needed at that age.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Personally, I would change it with the filter.

MB used to say "sealed for life", but changed that when life seemed to end shortly after the warranty period ended. They now say to change fluid and filter at 60k km or 40k miles. I think that is excellent practice. Fluid and filter is a heckuva lot less expensive than a transmission rebuild or replace.
They have done this where you are because they want your Dollars and some Americans are suckers for the old 'cheap insurance' line from Big Oil and cash-starved dealers.
Over here dealers don't see the cars after a sale for 15,000 miles or more and then every 15,000 to 18,000 miles for a service.
Mine is going in for its fourth service/oil change by the end of this week at 62,000 miles. It is only having a service because it is having four new tyres, so it might as well have an oil/filter change and check while it's in. It will be about 3000 miles before it is indicated on the dash. All my services have been at shorter intervals than indicated on the dash display, purely for convenience. Did think of changing the transmission oil but have decided to do it either at the next service, which will be at 75,000 to 80,000 miles or when it has its annual official safety inspection, whichever or whenever I feel like it.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 24wheeler
They have done this where you are because they want your Dollars and some Americans are suckers for the old 'cheap insurance' line from Big Oil and cash-starved dealers.
You are certainly free to have your own opinion. However, it was done in the US due to frequent early transmission failures and the resultant litigation.

Also, I have seen more than one quote from the transmission manufacturers (ZF and others) where they, too, agree that regular changing of the fluid and filter assures long and trouble free transmission performance.

Have it your way on your vehicles, but don't belittle others who think differently from you.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
You are certainly free to have your own opinion. However, it was done in the US due to frequent early transmission failures and the resultant litigation.

Also, I have seen more than one quote from the transmission manufacturers (ZF and others) where they, too, agree that regular changing of the fluid and filter assures long and trouble free transmission performance.

Have it your way on your vehicles, but don't belittle others who think differently from you.

I wasn't but you are.
Filter changes are not needed. It is quite simple, if the filter ever gets blocked or restricted beyond its specified capacity there will already be a major fault or extreme wear making a strip-down and re-build of the transmission necessary.
Mercedes transmissions have no brake bands, only clutch packs AFAIK and the main common failure is known to be with faulty control valves/sticking solenoids, nothing to do with inadequate lubrication at low mileage.

As I said, synthetic long life auto transmission fluid does indeed have a finite life before it degrades to be out of original minimum specification for the transmissions. That is very approximately around 100,000 miles. This is not my opinion. It is how it is. That some people want to do more maintenance is their business. That manufacturers tailor their schedule not only from necessity but for political and financial reasons is their business
Old 01-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the 35/75k mileage interval, others were correct on check for leaks only. The CVT trans is the only one listed in the maintenance guide that shows a filter and fluid change at those 35/75k intervals.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those interested in how stuff works
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM
cue
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think this is what the OP was referring to (see attached pdf). I was wondering the same thing. I bought audicare, and am coming up on the 35K service. A search turned up this thread, so should it be an included in the service?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q7 Transmission Fluid change on 35k and 75k?