Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 vs. ML63...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Q7 vs. ML63...

We all know the plain jane ML is a bore and very cheap interior along with a great deal of rattles and squeaks... which is why we're all here in a Q7 and not in that but has anyone on here cross-shopped the ML63* or owned one?

Getting bored of my Q7... Found a fully laminated "like new" ML63 for a great price and I am tempted to jump ship for sake of change and trying new things.

The ML63 interior is better, the quality of leather is better, the fit and fitment of panels and pieces are better but the tech is about an automotive generation behind and not in love with the electric steering but I can get used to it with the advanced park assist (car parks itself... woohoo!). This one only has the HK Logic7 (825w Surround Sound) not the B&O like my Q7 has but it has the archaic Rear Entertainment that so many wives and children covet. So there are trade-offs for Dad. Where I gain in fun/output I lose in Audio. Will the novelty wear off or is the ML63 a vehicle that could keep one entertained for some time?

(*MPG/Maintenance is not a factor in decision making so not interested in TDI MPG or maintenance costs since the Q7 service intervals are fairly similar to the ML63 and the costs to maintain aren't too different)
Old 06-16-2015, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the ML63 just because it hauls *** and it's probably more comfortable than the Q7
Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you asked the question 'between choices A and B, what would you do?', so I'll start of the inevitable and suggest option C.

Cayenne Turbo with Burmester audio? Tell the kids to remember to bring their phone/tablet for car use. It's somewhat telling that for the new Q7, Audi isn't going the integrated head rest or dome mounted display route (last I read), but providing dedicated tablets in the respective package. Of course, if it's not hard mounted to the car, it won't likely stay in the car either and you get to deal with charger wires or misplaced chargers, so I can see the merits of both approaches....
Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geng77
I would go with the ML63 just because it hauls *** and it's probably more comfortable than the Q7
I can't speak to the ML63 vs the Q7, but I can speak to the ML350BTC vs the Q7 3.0 TDI - both with Airmatic suspension. The Q7 is FAR superior in comfort and ride! Hands down!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cayenne GTS or BMW X5M

GTS handles nicely recently test drove
Versus straight line power of Turbo

BMW very fast but spartan interior
Old 06-17-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
Cayenne Turbo with Burmester audio?
i absolutely hate the interior of the cayenne and exterior wasn't attractive until the most recent refresh. the idiot behind the idea of having a single button for every possible feature should be fired. it reminds me of GM vehicles from the late 80's. my wife suggested the "c/d. option" for me should be RS7 or E63 Touring. "you're not going to be happy with the ML63 just get what you have been looking for." was the exact quote.

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
I can't speak to the ML63 vs the Q7, but I can speak to the ML350BTC vs the Q7 3.0 TDI - both with Airmatic suspension. The Q7 is FAR superior in comfort and ride! Hands down!
without a doubt... the plain jane ml is full of cost cutting and cheap plastic parts. it really is a shame that it carries the MB TriStar.

Originally Posted by knepster
BMW very fast but spartan interior
recently sold my X5M. it was awesome but unbearable in city traffic. the mpg wasn't great in traffic but that was expected however the jerkiness of the transmission was just ridiculous. i made the mistake of getting an Active Autowerke Tune & DP which made the vehicle insane on the highway but made me insane driving it around the city.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast

without a doubt... the plain jane ml is full of cost cutting and cheap plastic parts. it really is a shame that it carries the MB TriStar.
Mine was not "plain jane", and was pretty much loaded. See attached.

The Q7 rides and drives much better, and that damned electric steering on the ML is an obamanation!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MBML350BTC_Window_Sticker.pdf (992.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default E63s wagon is the ultimate sleeper

Always had a place in my heart, loved the dark grey and the plain white

i absolutely hate the interior of the cayenne and exterior wasn't attractive until the most recent refresh. the idiot behind the idea of having a single button for every possible feature should be fired. it reminds me of GM vehicles from the late 80's. my wife suggested the "c/d. option" for me should be RS7 or E63 Touring. "you're not going to be happy with the ML63 just get what you have been looking for." was the exact quote.

recently sold my X5M. it was awesome but unbearable in city traffic. the mpg wasn't great in traffic but that was expected however the jerkiness of the transmission was just ridiculous. i made the mistake of getting an Active Autowerke Tune & DP which made the vehicle insane on the highway but made me insane driving it around the city.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bazillion button thing Porsche does is indeed irritating and it is something that is right in front of you on a daily basis, so hating it and trying to live with it or working around it isn't really an option.

RS7- now we're getting somewhere! Some people don't like the A7 styling, but I think it's one of Audi's best looking vehicles and in RS trim, it's absolutely killer.

One of the coolest things about the E63 Touring is just how much of a "unicorn" they are and I have to believe it's the fastest production wagon at the moment.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of the "C & D" options you noted.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

the difficulty lies in finding the e63 wagon... i can't and won't buy it new. they depreciate rapidly and are out of my price range to begin with when new. i need a year old or 6-10k miles and finding it equipped with b&o or performance package will make it even more difficult.

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Mine was not "plain jane", and was pretty much loaded. See attached.
when i refer to plain jane models i mean non s/rs, m or amg models.

Quick Reply: Q7 vs. ML63...