Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7's driver and passenger's footwell wet; dealer can't find cause

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7's driver and passenger's footwell wet; dealer can't find cause

My 2007 Q7 footwell on passenger and driver's side is wet ( more on driver's side). Driver's side was soacked. Dealer striped everything inside, they left car outside in the rain, but couldn't find source of leak. We had water similarly last year and they said that ac drained were blocked with debris, but this time can't find anything.

Did anybody had this problem? Please help. Don't know what to do. We talked to Audi care and they are not helping. They said that they trust the dealer. They will not send zone representative. They are saying it is external source. I never left anything opened, sunroof or window. The car is always in the garage. This is in my opinion, poorly designed car if the water is able to get in when everything is closed.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its your sunroof drains! It is a really well known problem in MY07. Surprised at your dealer, are they not Audi? Go to the spreadsheet and look at body faults column. From there you will find links and pics back here to threads with similar cases. (You can view 2007 only in list mode if you want)
How long have you owned this car?
Was it kept in a garage until recently?
Have you had a recent heavy downpour?
Are there overhanging trees shedding over your Q7?

There is one other possible cause. Your Air Con drain could be blocked. That is a simple fix! You will also see who where when and possible links via Q7 spreadsheet. I suspect eh sunroof because its on both sides.
If nothing else it will show you which member to search for with similar problems.
Keep us updated and ask if you need more help.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfasten the rear of the front wheel liners. Find the drain exits, one on each side for sunroof. Clean the debris out behind the rubber plug. Do some short blasts with compressed air through the top of the drains. Doing this yourself will insure that it is done right without aggravating the problem. Doesn't matter if your VIN is out of the TSB VIN's either. Clogged passages occur secondary to poor design, and periodic cleaning should be part of any Q7 owner's maintenance duties. My want to check the right rear. The rear drains tend to short out the amp pretty regularly. Don't let this issue lapse; your electronic systems are at definite risk. Just $0.02.
The following users liked this post:
Kiore (11-16-2020)
Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Its your sunroof drains! It is a really well known problem in MY07. Surprised at your dealer, are they not Audi? Go to the spreadsheet and look at body faults column. From there you will find links and pics back here to threads with similar cases. (You can view 2007 only in list mode if you want)
How long have you owned this car?
Was it kept in a garage until recently?
Have you had a recent heavy downpour?
Are there overhanging trees shedding over your Q7?

There is one other possible cause. Your Air Con drain could be blocked. That is a simple fix! You will also see who where when and possible links via Q7 spreadsheet. I suspect eh sunroof because its on both sides.
If nothing else it will show you which member to search for with similar problems.
Keep us updated and ask if you need more help.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I've owned this car for a 1 year and 2 months. I am second owner.

Yes, the car is all the time in the garage when not driven. It was in the garage for 10 days (I didn't drive it for 10 days - we had some front yard work and I didn't want it to get scratched by workers). When I opened the car on the 10 day I found this water.

We had a downpour, but was in the garage during the downpour. This car has excellent care.

No threes over my Q7.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Water leak

Originally Posted by audiq7owner
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I've owned this car for a 1 year and 2 months. I am second owner.

Yes, the car is all the time in the garage when not driven. It was in the garage for 10 days (I didn't drive it for 10 days - we had some front yard work and I didn't want it to get scratched by workers). When I opened the car on the 10 day I found this water.

We had a downpour, but was in the garage during the downpour. This car has excellent care.

No threes over my Q7.
I agree with justforfun, most probably is the sunroof, mainly if your dealer already has looked into AC drain issue. It is not going to be an easy journey if the sunroof is the problem, I have had leaks in the passenger side, driver side, and finally the rear with major electric/amplifier damage, go to the dealer and make sure it is fixed (audi of NA will not help you).
Good luck
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RAD2
I agree with justforfun, most probably is the sunroof, mainly if your dealer already has looked into AC drain issue. It is not going to be an easy journey if the sunroof is the problem, I have had leaks in the passenger side, driver side, and finally the rear with major electric/amplifier damage, go to the dealer and make sure it is fixed (audi of NA will not help you).
Good luck
Dealer said that they checked the sunroof - by pouring buckets of water and there was no leak inside. They are saying it is external cause (which is not true). This is driving me crazy. I can't understand that certified Audi dealership is not able to diagnose a problem on their own car. Or they are not willing to.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of dealer's hired help don't know how to handle this issue. Sometimes they end up ripping through your interior and you end up paying for a new sunroof frame and it costs $3K. That is why it is useful to do things yourself, so you know for sure. Here is a recycled pic of the front sunroof rail drains under the wheel liner.

Pull that X plug off and check and clear the passages with your fingers. If you are still getting under cowl water ingress, check the screens in the engine compartment drainage passages and dig out the debris and insure the screens stay clear.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is a breather pipe above the drains. Even if the drains are clear you can get water into the car by flooding the channels so its not possible to test that without geting water ingress.
AUJ has shown the correct inspection procedure.
If the mystery remains its time to investigate further.
Here is a previous thread (plenty more via spreasdsheet body f column)
Does anyone else have access to the Q7 or its keys?
Was it taken through a car wash?
Was the Q taken out and put back without you knowing? (dont know how you are supposed to answer that).. sounds like an Irish question! Like are you reading that newspaper you're sitting on?
where was I?
Does the water smell?
Have you removed the end panel on both sides of the dash to access the fuses?
From there you can see water marks or rust if it is coming from the sunroof.
Is there a smell from A/C?
Has anyone checked the condensate drain to see if it is clear?
It is accessed via the passenger footwell. Its just above the lower panel.
You need a plastic bag to catch the stagnant water and gunk, leaves etc that comes out once you slide the clip off.

All that said... I still suspect the sunroof and that your Q7 was out in the rain and put back without you knowing OR the water got in from before it was garaged but not soaked down to floor.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW Dealer pouring buckets of water will not show up for ages if there is a leak or ingress. It will only show if it passes the test as in it comes rocketing out of the drain pipes. So who measured it? and how?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
There is a breather pipe above the drains. Even if the drains are clear you can get water into the car by flooding the channels so its not possible to test that without geting water ingress.
AUJ has shown the correct inspection procedure.
If the mystery remains its time to investigate further.
Here is a previous thread (plenty more via spreasdsheet body f column)
Does anyone else have access to the Q7 or its keys?
Was it taken through a car wash?
Was the Q taken out and put back without you knowing? (dont know how you are supposed to answer that).. sounds like an Irish question! Like are you reading that newspaper you're sitting on?
where was I?
Does the water smell?
Have you removed the end panel on both sides of the dash to access the fuses?
From there you can see water marks or rust if it is coming from the sunroof.
Is there a smell from A/C?
Has anyone checked the condensate drain to see if it is clear?
It is accessed via the passenger footwell. Its just above the lower panel.
You need a plastic bag to catch the stagnant water and gunk, leaves etc that comes out once you slide the clip off.

All that said... I still suspect the sunroof and that your Q7 was out in the rain and put back without you knowing OR the water got in from before it was garaged but not soaked down to floor.
Thanks again. I'll ask the dealer some of these questions.

Our car has been at the dealer for 8 days now. Insurance is involved - adjuster saw the car on Thursday. We haven't heard anything yet from insurance. Dealer is saying we can't find anything. AoA is not calling back. AoA said that we are welcome to get a second opinion.

I wanted even my next car to be Q7, but not anymore )

Quick Reply: Q7's driver and passenger's footwell wet; dealer can't find cause