Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rain Sensor/ Wiper hatred

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry, I'm still stuck on putting your baby through a carwash... ouch. But I'm a scratch, ding and swirl-mark freak, so ignore me.

I know, I know, we all get busy... but.. sigh.

A carwash? Really?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually I belive the whole premise behind rain sensing wipers is that if its raining you set it to that setting and it will automatically adjust the speed of the wipers as needed. There is no set it and forget it setting since this isnt a Ron Propeil invention.

It sucks that she forgot to turn it off but accidents happen and its going to cost you. Trying to push the blame on to someone else is just a waste of time.

Originally Posted by kristatos
I heartily disagree with your sentiment. The entire point of "rain-sensing" wipers is to turn it on and forget about it and let the car decide when they are needed. For sure we are supposed to turn them off but people will forget these things. It's a tough pill to swallow when you end up with a $1000 bill because something slipped your mind while pulling your screaming kid out of their seat while explaining to the attendant you don't want air-freshener before sending the car through the wash. Audi could have designed the wiper blade to break off before destroying the windscreen if they'd thought about it hard enough. Maybe none of the engineers at Audi have much else going on in their lives.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
I think that's as close as you're going to get. I've driven Mercedes, Porsche, VW, my Q7 and lots of other brands; and have never had one with a manually settable/adjustable intermittent wiper from the factory.

By changing to a third party aftermarket relay in my MB G500, I can now manually adjust the intermittent wiper timing by how frequently I hit the wash button; i.e a kludge solution, but it works.
I actually like the rain sensitivity setting. I do just set it and forget it. The manual timing drives me insane on my other cars. I'm always changing it due to change in speed and/or rain density.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When applying Rain-X, make sure you don't get any on the wiper blades themselves. That's what causes the chatter regardless of how new the blades are. Make sure you've buffed all the product off the windshield before re-seating the wipers.