Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Hatch Won't Close

Old 07-03-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burke
Thanks to everyone who posted previously in this thread. My 2007 Q7 rear hatch stopped latching completely. Now that I've fixed the problem, I think I know what was happening. Due to a broken spring in the helper mechanism attached to the bumper, the latching post wasn't extending upward as far as it should (the spring pulls the post up and toward the hatch). So when the hatch closed, I don't think the latch on the door was effectively grasping the post on the bumper. The primary motor would close the door and I could hear the helper motor trying to retract the post to pull the hatch tight, but the door wouldn't close all the way.

Here is what I saw when I removed the cargo tray and looked at the helper mechanism (notice the spring clearly out of place):

So here is the fix. I was able to salvage the existing spring and didn't need to purchase anything.

Step 1: Remove the entire long chrome trim piece lining the back of the hatch area. First, remove the four Torx screws facing the spare tire. Then pull upward on the trim until it pulls free. Lift carefully and pull up from one side to the other to avoid breaking the tabs that fasten it down or pulling it too far away from the bumper which could break the wiring harness connected to it. I broke one tab, but it still went back together OK. Pull the chrome trim away from the bumper, but don't bother disconnecting the wire. I left the weatherstripping in place on the bumper.

Here is what I saw with the chrome trim removed. Notice the spring is not visible where it should be located (attached to the small black hook near the left-hand silver screw head) and the post is not fully extended toward the hatch.

Step 2: Remove the helper motor assembly. Before loosening and removing the two large silver screws holding it in place (they look like 13mm bolt heads), make a note of the position of the helper motor assembly on the bumper. Mark it with tape so you know where to position it during reassembly. It can be adjusted up or down to loosen or tighten the door's final closed position. These two silver screws don't have nuts, so you can pull them out completely.

Step 3: Retrieve the broken spring if possible. The very end of my spring had broken off.

Step 4: Clean out the gunk that may be jamming up the mechanism. I sprayed WD40 from various angles and worked the post up and down until it moved more freely.

Step 5: Fix the spring and reattach. I used a utility knife to split off two coils from the end of the spring and needle nose pliers to bend these coils up. Reattach the spring as shown.

Fixed spring:

Reattached spring:

Step 6: Reinstall the helper mechanism and replace the trim. Before pushing the trim down into place, use your fingers to pull the edge of the weatherstripping over the lip of the chrome trim. This takes a few minutes. Push the chrome trim down into place and install the Torx screws.
These instructions were life saver, thanks a lot . I did exactly what you wrote and it worked
Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audiblack73
These instructions were life saver, thanks a lot . I did exactly what you wrote and it worked
Excellent! Seems like Audi needs to spec a more durable spring.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brucebanner
happy to report that my hatch is now closing and working great after replacing part 4F9 827 505 same as chigger. and chigger, it is pretty easy to swap this part. took about 20 minutes.
I am having the same issue with my rear hatch, however the spring seems to be fine and I suspect the lock on the hatch. How does it come off, did you have to remove any trim pieces?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Listed below. attach adjustment just in case you might need it.

Q7 Rear Lid, Lid Latch.pdf

Q7 lid Adjustments.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Q7 Rear Lid, Lid Latch-2.pdf (142.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For those of you that also may need to replace the rear lid lock latch, you will need to remove the rear lid trim, see below (this is for a Q5, Q7 has four extra screws to remove):

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...moval-2801299/
Old 07-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just finished replacing he locking latch on the rear lid. The only issue was getting the rear lid trim back on.

After playing around with the bad latch, it is pretty easy to test your locking latch if you are having this problem with the rear lid not closing.

Manually engage the locking latch to the lock position, if it springs back, then you have a bad locking latch. A working latch will stay locked, now all you have to do is manually unlock it using the manual release in rear lid trim. Now that you know your latch is good, can check the other components (spring, striker plate, etc.,).

Last edited by sjsuQ7; 07-23-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi there, I had the same problem this afternoon and Dutch VanAtlanta was right. I cleaned the catch under the silver liner and that Sorted out the catching. There was sand in there from a few beach trips.
I could not easily get the silver cover off so cleaned around it. If I do need to get it off does anyone know how I go about getting it off please?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

just pull with a litte force upwards
Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For what it's worth, my rear latch spring was broken and I found an exact replacement at Home Depot. It came in a package with a few different sized springs but one was an exact match.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Won't Close