Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Seat Entertainment System Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Entertainment System Removal

Hi everyone. Just bought a used 2013 Q7 TDI. Loving it.

It came with the Audi factory rear seat entertainment system (the brackets version attached to the seats). A question for you all. Does anyone know how to remove it (temporarily)? It is attached with brackets and a dock, which appear to be removable. But after several attempts (and not wanting to break it), I still can't get it out.

I'm just looking to remove it temporarily as it takes up some back seat space.

I did a search but couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same situation since I just got my Q7 TDI today. I wanted to put a rear facing car seat behind me, but I have to move my seat forward in order to get the Britax in.

So i did remove the screens, but I can't figure out how to remove the brackets. Looking at the screens, i pushed (pretty hard in fact) from right to left. Once they slide out I pushed in the docking mounting block. The button on top is pushed and the mounting block pops back out.

Still need to figure out how to remove the bracket even if its a little work.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by m995856
I'm in the same situation since I just got my Q7 TDI today. I wanted to put a rear facing car seat behind me, but I have to move my seat forward in order to get the Britax in.

So i did remove the screens, but I can't figure out how to remove the brackets. Looking at the screens, i pushed (pretty hard in fact) from right to left. Once they slide out I pushed in the docking mounting block. The button on top is pushed and the mounting block pops back out.

Still need to figure out how to remove the bracket even if its a little work.
Thanks. Helpful. I did get the monitors off. Still want to figure out how to get the brackets off. Has to be a simple way
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They just pull out from the two mounting holes in the seat back. It's very similar to removing a headrest. Watch out for the power lead - unplug it from the seat back first.

I always remove the screens before removing the brackets because it reduces the risk of damaging them in the removal process.

Be careful because the small plastic covers which surround the steel bars are quite fragile!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried pulling on them fairly hard. I took the headrest of to see the same action as you desribed, but they have a release button on the black cover. I do not see the same release and it feels like the brackets are being retained unless something is released? Or maybe I need to pull real HARD?

They probably have never been removed so maybe that's the challenge?

Matt
Old 05-22-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by m995856
I tried pulling on them fairly hard. I took the headrest of to see the same action as you desribed, but they have a release button on the black cover. I do not see the same release and it feels like the brackets are being retained unless something is released? Or maybe I need to pull real HARD?

They probably have never been removed so maybe that's the challenge?

Matt
Same here. Don't want to pull to hard for fear of breaking something. I don't have a release button on mine either
Old 05-23-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I now see what Edd was talking about. You have to remove the covers to see the release latch. Thanks for the warning about cracking the covers. But unfortunately I did crack one. I'll see if the dealership will replace under warranty, worst case they are most for dress anyway.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Very helpful. I cracked one too, but I was able to get them off. Thanks everyone.

By the way, separate question, but has anyone found a way to connect the monitors so they play the same movie or play from the front MMI? I think they are just individual units, but it bugs me that they don't link to the front DVD player. Seems silly for an OEM system. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You need two standard stereo 3.5mm male to male jack cables. One for audio and one for composite image.
On the slave screen, simply change the source using the front buttons or remote control.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Edd W
You need two standard stereo 3.5mm male to male jack cables. One for audio and one for composite image.
On the slave screen, simply change the source using the front buttons or remote control.
Thanks. Crazy to me that in an OEM system, the 2 backseat monitors don't talk to each other or to the front load DVD player.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Entertainment System Removal