Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Remote start for Q7

Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote start for Q7

I have had a remote start installed in my 2007 Q7. It was quite a task finding someone that was able to do it but eventually I found someone who does installation of remote starts and alarm systems freelance.

I was able to have a Viper 5901 system installed, however, the car did not take to it well. Though it starts, if I dont shut it off by pressing the brake pedal or the start button on the remote before putting my key into the ignition, the key will get locked in the ignition when it comes time to remove it. When the key is locked in the ignition, I have to move the key to the off position, press the start key on the remote, have the car start again using the remote, and then the key will slip out. Its strange, yes I know, but it gets the car warm before I leave for work in the morning. Remote start is a must have for the cold winters in New York.

The dealer would have charged $1,800 to install a remote start system on the Q7 but I was able to get it done for $550. The guy who installed it is still working on fixing this problem. He says that some sort of module is required in order to bypass the ignition lock.

Has anyone else attempted to have a remote start system installed in their Q7 and if so what was your experience like?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I test drove a Q7 this week, I asked about Remote Start and they do not offer it or recommend it. He gave me the technical reason why, and that reason flew over my head - but it sounded reasonable.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has that glitch been corrected? not being able to remove key in some cases?
Who did the install? I'd like to do the same... Do you have the keyless start option on the Q7? Did the installer have to use one of your keys to achieve this?

Thaks
Paul in NJ
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey. To answer your questions, No - the glitch hasnt been corrected yet, the installer is still working on resolving the issue. no - I dont have the keyless start option, and yes - the installer did have to use a valet key in the remote start module.

If you'd still like to do the same, I can give you the number of the installer. He's located here in Queens, NY, I dont know how far we are away from where you are in NJ.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hseeratan
Hey. To answer your questions, No - the glitch hasnt been corrected yet, the installer is still working on resolving the issue. no - I dont have the keyless start option, and yes - the installer did have to use a valet key in the remote start module.

If you'd still like to do the same, I can give you the number of the installer. He's located here in Queens, NY, I dont know how far we are away from where you are in NJ.
I need that Number...
I live in NJ By the GWB..
Thnx...
My Wife is going to love to hear this!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What shop did the install?
Do you know what interface was used? The DEI CANMAX400DEI or the Fortin CAN-SL2 ??? How about the key bypass? XKEYUB ??? If you know, let me know.
Thanks
Paul
Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey y'all! Sorry to necro-thread this one, but I have some info I'd love to share on the topic of Q7 remote starts.

I'm an MECP Advanced 12v install technician from central WI, and I work at a BestBuy install bay, so I do remote starts as like 90% of my installs from Nov to Feb every year.

I did a 2012 Q7 last winter for a remote start, and wanted to let you all in on the info I gathered from it. The system was a Viper 5901 with the SmartStart phone application. I used a Directed DBALL module for integration with the vehicle. Overall the install was very simple. The most difficult is disassembly, because some parts are VERY tough to get out (the little buttons on either side of the screen, for example).
The only issue with the install itself was that there was no PTS takeover after the vehicle was remote started, so to get in and drive away the key had to be inserted into the key cyl on the dash and turned on. However, it did not present an issue with being turned off like the hseeratan had.
Of course to get an RS installed a key does have to be given up and used in the install because of the immobilizer in the vehicle.

Overall a difficult installation, but not impossible.
If anyone's got any questions of anything my shop number is 715-343-7300. If you miss me feel free to leave a message or something! Even if you're not in WI and need help finding a good tech to do the install I know a lot of people across the country and can try to pair ya up with someone.

Cheers,
Isaac Troseth
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (07-27-2023)
Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isaac,

do you ever get to CT? LOL! All the technology in this Q7 and I cant have what GM had 5 years ago !! Ice Storm after ice storm here this week. And not to mention the car doesn't heat up for VERY longtime. I'm seriously hating cold weather now that I have a "German Engineered" vehicle how the hell does that work??
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by isaac.troseth
Hey y'all! Sorry to necro-thread this one, but I have some info I'd love to share on the topic of Q7 remote starts.

I'm an MECP Advanced 12v install technician from central WI, and I work at a BestBuy install bay, so I do remote starts as like 90% of my installs from Nov to Feb every year.

I did a 2012 Q7 last winter for a remote start, and wanted to let you all in on the info I gathered from it. The system was a Viper 5901 with the SmartStart phone application. I used a Directed DBALL module for integration with the vehicle. Overall the install was very simple. The most difficult is disassembly, because some parts are VERY tough to get out (the little buttons on either side of the screen, for example).
The only issue with the install itself was that there was no PTS takeover after the vehicle was remote started, so to get in and drive away the key had to be inserted into the key cyl on the dash and turned on. However, it did not present an issue with being turned off like the hseeratan had.
Of course to get an RS installed a key does have to be given up and used in the install because of the immobilizer in the vehicle.

Overall a difficult installation, but not impossible.
If anyone's got any questions of anything my shop number is 715-343-7300. If you miss me feel free to leave a message or something! Even if you're not in WI and need help finding a good tech to do the install I know a lot of people across the country and can try to pair ya up with someone.

Cheers,
Isaac Troseth

I have a 2013 TDI. I'd love to have a Viper remote start. I am in Kalamazoo, MI. Can you get the info to another Best Buy in my area for the install? I don't mind paying for it, but I don't want any hassle or issues. Otherwise, I am a bit afraid to try given the comments on the forum.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Issac- do you have any recommended installers in the California bay area (San Jose/San Franscisco) that could add a remote start to pre-warm the car, but won't put my car out of warranty?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start for Q7