Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Remote start for Q7

Old 01-21-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Buy in Fair Lakes, Va installed my Viper SmartStart in my 2007 Q7 about 2 years ago and it has been working great since then.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

H22hatch, I live near Fair Lakes and looking to get RS installed on my 2007 Q7 as well. How much was the install? Did you have to give up a key?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by geng77
H22hatch, I live near Fair Lakes and looking to get RS installed on my 2007 Q7 as well. How much was the install? Did you have to give up a key?
Install was about 400 which I thought was reasonable considering the amount of work. Yes I did have to give up a key but it can be the valet key. I'll check tonight on my receipt for the actual cost.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by H22hatch
Install was about 400 which I thought was reasonable considering the amount of work. Yes I did have to give up a key but it can be the valet key. I'll check tonight on my receipt for the actual cost.
Thanks! Why do you have to give up the key and valet key will work for sure?

Last edited by geng77; 06-29-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Late reply

Originally Posted by Ctsearay
X2 for Connecticut,

From what I understand if you put one in it voids any electrical warranty. But the mechanical warranty is in effected. Ya know, if I could put a spare key in the ignition start it and lock the door I'd be fine. But you can't even do that. I tried locking it manually then closing the door. And tried closing it and locking it with the remote still no good. So if the Q is sitting and warming with the key in it someone could just jump in and go.

You would think that Audi would have thought of this and made some provisions. I would even go as far as paying the dealer twice what a normal installer would get if they would do it. I like that Viper that uses a smart phone app. I don't want another key fob hanging around.

As I write this, I have a remote start being installed in my 2013 Q7 TDI. You CAN leave the car running and use the valet key to lock the door manually via the keyhole after you get out and close all of the doors.

That's my cold weather solution- I live one hour from Canada in northern MN. To be continued...
Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hconnickjr
As I write this, I have a remote start being installed in my 2013 Q7 TDI. You CAN leave the car running and use the valet key to lock the door manually via the keyhole after you get out and close all of the doors.

That's my cold weather solution- I live one hour from Canada in northern MN. To be continued...
Hmmm so if I use the valet key to keep the Q running and lock it with my regular key in the lock. Mmmm never tried that. I just usually leave the door unlocked, HOPING that any potential idiot would think it has a car starter and the door is locked, but I'm always leery and usually its in my private spot and no other people are around for a ways.

I'll try that tonight Thanks

BTW I'm SOOO jealous LOL I wish I could say the heck with the warranty. What kind did you get installed?

Last edited by Ctsearay; 01-23-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

These can be installed in any of the newer audis. Both stick and automatic can be done. If anyone is looking to get one of these installed in the ny nj or ct area, send me a pm or an email and I can get you set up.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ctsearay

BTW I'm SOOO jealous LOL I wish I could say the heck with the warranty. What kind did you get installed?
Check out the Magnusson Moss Act if you're worried about the warranty!

Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Given that's it's an accredited dealer and product you should be safe (as long as it's a proper install of course).

Dealers LOVE to try to say 'no' to these things, mainly because they don't understand them. I love to push back and let them know they need to say 'yes' or face legal action
Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

i finally got mine installed with viper smart start at a local audio installer. i have to admit that it's pretty damn nice to be able to start the car anywhere from your iphone. after 5 to 10 minutes the car is pretty toasty. love it.

i have the keyless go package and the only annoying thing is that i have to use the app to unlock the car or have to use the key to manually unlock it. touching the door handle or use the keyfob doesn't work.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have sucessfully done remote starters in newer audis. The issue you are experienceing is due to the car staying running once you enter it. Because your care requires the key to be inserted for it to run, it is neccesary for the key cylinder to lock as if it is holding a key as a part of the starting process. The installer needs to program the remote starter to shut down upon door opening in order to release the key cylinder lock. Once this change is made to the systems programming, your key will no longer get stuck in the ignition port.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote start for Q7