Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Remote start for Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ctsearay
Hmmm so if I use the valet key to keep the Q running and lock it with my regular key in the lock. Mmmm never tried that. I just usually leave the door unlocked, HOPING that any potential idiot would think it has a car starter and the door is locked, but I'm always leery and usually its in my private spot and no other people are around for a ways.

I'll try that tonight Thanks

BTW I'm SOOO jealous LOL I wish I could say the heck with the warranty. What kind did you get installed?

__________________________________________________ ______________
Ok, here's the follow up. I have a Compu Star installed- I can also start from anywhere in the world with the Drone mobile app (and $40/year subscription). In the past 30 days I have noticed a few minor things that are different than other remote starts that I have owned- but I'm glad to say that today I am 100% satisfied. It works flawlessly.

The small issues were:
-Airbag light was on after the install. I had it reset and it has never reappeared. They checked the airbag system and it's completely functional, so no worries.
-The signal lights flash every 12 seconds while it's running when started by remote. I checked and this has to do with the brand that I purchased. The installer was willing to shut this off.
-After starting the car by remote, the car dies when I open the door. This only happened when I unlocked with the key or the Drone Mobile interface- it didn't die when I used the included Compu Star remote. I just have to unlock it with the CS remote and it's fine. The Audi unlock fob does not work once I start it by remote.

With these cold Minnesota winters, these are absolutely necessary to have installed. I hope this helps- don't be afraid. You have to trust the installer, though. He did a lot of research and spent almost 2 days making sure that it went correctly. $550 was my bill- not bad. He also refused to cut any wires. Our fall-back plan was to uninstall the entire system if there were gremlins or glitches with the install. This is still an option if anything happens- and he was willing to do this.

The positive side for him is that he can take all of these challenging starter jobs that are out there. As you know, many shops won't take the risk.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hope that's it for your bugs. But it sounds like you have a really reputable installer, and that's 70% of it!

I'm going to hold off another season I think, just because I broke the bank on a set of 20" OEM rims and tires.

Last edited by Ctsearay; 02-09-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Hconnickjr
__________________________________________________ ______________
Ok, here's the follow up. I have a Compu Star installed- I can also start from anywhere in the world with the Drone mobile app (and $40/year subscription). In the past 30 days I have noticed a few minor things that are different than other remote starts that I have owned- but I'm glad to say that today I am 100% satisfied. It works flawlessly.

The small issues were:
-Airbag light was on after the install. I had it reset and it has never reappeared. They checked the airbag system and it's completely functional, so no worries.
-The signal lights flash every 12 seconds while it's running when started by remote. I checked and this has to do with the brand that I purchased. The installer was willing to shut this off.
-After starting the car by remote, the car dies when I open the door. This only happened when I unlocked with the key or the Drone Mobile interface- it didn't die when I used the included Compu Star remote. I just have to unlock it with the CS remote and it's fine. The Audi unlock fob does not work once I start it by remote.

With these cold Minnesota winters, these are absolutely necessary to have installed. I hope this helps- don't be afraid. You have to trust the installer, though. He did a lot of research and spent almost 2 days making sure that it went correctly. $550 was my bill- not bad. He also refused to cut any wires. Our fall-back plan was to uninstall the entire system if there were gremlins or glitches with the install. This is still an option if anything happens- and he was willing to do this.

The positive side for him is that he can take all of these challenging starter jobs that are out there. As you know, many shops won't take the risk.
Compustar? No kidding! Did you hear which module he used for integrating with the vehicle's ignition system? If he didn't use a DBALL2 I'm drooling over what method he may have gone.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys, kind of a necro bump here, but I wanted to update some info on the Q7, specifically 2017+ models.

Now that there's a 2nd Gen out there, it's worth noting that there IS a solution available for that version, also. I did one about a week ago and found it to actually be easier than the 1st gen!

Still need to relinquish a key, and Viper/Directed were the only ones with a solution for the truck when I did it (out of my product selection anyway, Fortin may as well).

Seemed to work pretty trick. The only unfortunate part was having to run a wire into the door to turn of the radio/autolights if you shutdown the remote start with the remote, otherwise they stay on forever. The bypass is supposed to do it via data.. but it didn't work. C'est la vie.

So many goodies on the new gen, loved every minute working on it!
Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start for Audi Q7

I've seen a few comments that AUDI doesn't have remote start for the Q7 due to various reasons.. Yet they list it with the Kessey module for example in parts.

https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi_201...T/1381359.html
Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Still works like a charm.

Just an update: My CS is still working perfectly. I didn't get into actual modules or detailed specs. I just know that it works and I wouldn't go without it.

Ryan
The following users liked this post:
jbgilbank (08-01-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by isaac.troseth
Hey y'all! Sorry to necro-thread this one, but I have some info I'd love to share on the topic of Q7 remote starts.

I'm an MECP Advanced 12v install technician from central WI, and I work at a BestBuy install bay, so I do remote starts as like 90% of my installs from Nov to Feb every year.

I did a 2012 Q7 last winter for a remote start, and wanted to let you all in on the info I gathered from it. The system was a Viper 5901 with the SmartStart phone application. I used a Directed DBALL module for integration with the vehicle. Overall the install was very simple. The most difficult is disassembly, because some parts are VERY tough to get out (the little buttons on either side of the screen, for example).
The only issue with the install itself was that there was no PTS takeover after the vehicle was remote started, so to get in and drive away the key had to be inserted into the key cyl on the dash and turned on. However, it did not present an issue with being turned off like the hseeratan had.
Of course to get an RS installed a key does have to be given up and used in the install because of the immobilizer in the vehicle.

Overall a difficult installation, but not impossible.
If anyone's got any questions of anything my shop number is 715-343-7300. If you miss me feel free to leave a message or something! Even if you're not in WI and need help finding a good tech to do the install I know a lot of people across the country and can try to pair ya up with someone.

Cheers,
Isaac Troseth
I see this from 2013 so if you need to repeat yourself I am sorry but I just bought a 2012 Q7 Diesel and I am down here in Milwaukee and if you have any updates or solutions for a remote start? I talked to the tech at my local Best Buy and he said there was nothing available.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hconnickjr
Just an update: My CS is still working perfectly. I didn't get into actual modules or detailed specs. I just know that it works and I wouldn't go without it.

Ryan
Ryan -

Who did the system for you? I live in the Minneapolis area and am trying to find someone to do this install.

Thanks!
Dusty
Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I read somewhere a while back that there was a solution (extra module needed) for a remote start without giving up a key. Can anyone confirm this and what system can do this? Mine is a key based starter (no push button) and for some reason I think the solution was only valid for configs that had push button or did not have it, and I can't recall which.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't have push-button start, but I did have to give up a key. I don't think that there's any way around this from what I've been told in multiple channels.

Azure Electronics did mine in Thief River Falls, MN- for what it's worth.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Remote start for Q7