Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

RSQ7 Grill upgrade and some cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My concern is the two holes on each side where the existing plastic covers clip into the bumper. What are you all thinking to fill/hide that?

Originally Posted by bspurloc
ah nice! ours dont have lights in them though right? I was thinking of getting the honeycomb mesh from a lower grill on a jetta and cutting it to match the openings, molding with heat gun probably.
For 06 09 VW Jetta MK5 GTI Gli Front Bumper Lower Center Honeycomb Mesh Grille | eBay
Old 05-02-2016, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomBlack
My concern is the two holes on each side where the existing plastic covers clip into the bumper. What are you all thinking to fill/hide that?
Not sure yet. I know the passenger side one is all blocked off. I was pushing on the insides one day and they were moving as if they clipped out. looking at parts list I see my 2 vents dont look like the ones on ebay, mine are like blocked off in in the back.

I may get these and leave them like this? or do what the dude in the video did and add mesh to the back... or it looks more like it should be attached to the fronts of these cuz they are so thick
Pair of Front Bumper Low Intake Grill Turn Signal Grille Panel for Audi Q7 06 09 | eBay
Old 05-04-2016, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Any pictures! RS Grill looks pretty good on the the Q7 non S-Line!

What do you mean by you got rid of the tail lights too? Did you replace with OEM or aftermarket?

Here's a good honeycomb retro fit into the A5/S5 Fog grills.. I've taken mine out and looked, it would be possible to do something like this. Wouldn't be as easy though. But fortunately fog grills are only $50 and some change on eBay so if you screw up its not the end of the world.
After market rear lights. I got the Spyder LED's. I don't like blaring red in the rear. I am thinking of blacking out those lower red lights. the left one is cracked anyway.
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

After market rear lights. I got the Spyder LED's. I don't like blaring red in the rear. I am thinking of blacking out those lower red lights. the left one is cracked anyway.
You should create a seperate thread for these lights. I'd like to see pictures or a video of all of the different lights working (running lights, brake lights, turn signals) since there are none out there for these lights. Do the lights flicker and flash every 30ish seconds from the cold diagnostics? Nice RS grill BTW!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not sure yet. I know the passenger side one is all blocked off. I was pushing on the insides one day and they were moving as if they clipped out. looking at parts list I see my 2 vents dont look like the ones on ebay, mine are like blocked off in in the back.

I may get these and leave them like this? or do what the dude in the video did and add mesh to the back... or it looks more like it should be attached to the fronts of these cuz they are so thick
Pair of Front Bumper Low Intake Grill Turn Signal Grille Panel for Audi Q7 06 09 | eBay
What I would do is fabricate the plastic so it's a smooth surface on the back. And put the black mesh behind that so it sits flat. You could always get that fiberglass molding stuff and make the back flat by filling in the indented spots. that'd be a lot of work though, but I think the end result would be worth it. I will probably do that if I get the RS grill.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

What I would do is fabricate the plastic so it's a smooth surface on the back. And put the black mesh behind that so it sits flat. You could always get that fiberglass molding stuff and make the back flat by filling in the indented spots. that'd be a lot of work though, but I think the end result would be worth it. I will probably do that if I get the RS grill.
any clue why my passenger side lower vent is blocked off behind those grids? I see that is normal as some Audi parts people have that. also what is the purpose of those scooped vents in them???
I'll probably buy these as the ones to modify and leave the originals alone. but still have to find the honeycomb mesh. no clue who sells the exact same design, besides getting that lower Jetta grill option and cutting that to fit.
I can try and make a video, will have to piece it together I think!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's really hard to take a video cuz the LEDs are so bright on Brakes and Blinkers.
Maybe with it light out. the iphone camera isn't adjusting well. I could try my 35mm. lol havent touched that in years.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe the reason some are blocked off and some aren't are whether the car is a TDI or not. TDI is not blocked off because the intercoolers(?) are located behind the intakes. Naturally aspirated 3.6 and 4.2 don't have that so it's mostly for show. My Q7 4.2 has both blocked off, but it appears like the panel just pops off, I agree though, it's worth buying a second set to modify.

About the lights, It'd be really awesome if you could do the video somehow. There is nothing out there showing these installed. I've been wondering what they look like for the past two years. Lol
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe the reason some are blocked off and some aren't are whether the car is a TDI or not. TDI is not blocked off because the intercoolers(?) are located behind the intakes. Naturally aspirated 3.6 and 4.2 don't have that so it's mostly for show. My Q7 4.2 has both blocked off, but it appears like the panel just pops off, I agree though, it's worth buying a second set to modify.

About the lights, It'd be really awesome if you could do the video somehow. There is nothing out there showing these installed. I've been wondering what they look like for the past two years. Lol
Ok here are some pics off videos I tried to make. I couldnt get the camera to focus right on the brake lights. I'll try and make a better one tomorrow or use my 35mm.
NOTE: these are the common after market LED rears. People sell them Blacked, Smoked, Clear and these Clear no color Spyder ones.
I originally wanted blacked, but no one had a clear pic of what the black looked like and I think you could still see the RED lens in them. these are clear no colors in them.
Attached Images     
Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

rough video of them....

Quick Reply: RSQ7 Grill upgrade and some cleaning