Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

RSQ7 Grill upgrade and some cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I can get these Jetta grills to fit and also snap in!
This first one I may toss out and get 2 more. interestingly the bottoms have 4 big snaps on them, 3 will clip to the fenders molding the 4th I can cut a slit and clip it in. There is a slight gap on the left corner which I can either add bondo to fill in or try some heat gun bending. The grills need to be painted to black gloss so that will cover up any bondo if I go that route.
How does it look ignoring the uncut area?
Attached Images    
Old 05-10-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh wow! I think it looks great. Just need to tidy up the area closest to the grille itself. It looks really sporty now!
Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks great. Perhaps you can grind off the back side that sits closest to the main grill so it sits more flush. Also, can you reuse the edging that came off the top and glue it on? I like that you use the Ford as a work bench.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 968racer
Looks great. Perhaps you can grind off the back side that sits closest to the main grill so it sits more flush. Also, can you reuse the edging that came off the top and glue it on? I like that you use the Ford as a work bench.
That is why I was thinking of getting another grill, because the bottom right area, It finally clicked, DONT CUT OFF THE EDGING! I can heat gun wrap it into the the curve! I kept the top edging, thankfully I didnt hack it to pieces I have the whole top of it in one piece. That's my Crown Vic Sport. 200k miles and still runs strong, doesn't burn oil doesn't leak.
At $20 for each grill, I'm ok with screwing up lol. even if it takes 5! The grills are like 1 inch thick and cut easily with wire cutters. I was using the hack saw till I realized the wire cutters were much faster and more accurate.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Oh wow! I think it looks great. Just need to tidy up the area closest to the grille itself. It looks really sporty now!
nice!
yeah I was just trying to get it to stay in place so I could take a picture. I didn't want to cut the right to exact fit till I decided how I was going to fill the corner gap on the left. I really think some bondo will close the gap and not look dumb
Old 05-14-2016, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bspurloc
nice!
yeah I was just trying to get it to stay in place so I could take a picture. I didn't want to cut the right to exact fit till I decided how I was going to fill the corner gap on the left. I really think some bondo will close the gap and not look dumb
Any more pictures? Did you finish?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cut it more to fit better but this is sort of a test one because one of the clips was already broken off and the seller is selling me a replacement plus I have 2 more coming lol.
Been busy and daughter is using is now while her transmission gets rebuilt.

I spent one day trying to track down the startup noise. what a pain in the *** to work on this engine. dropped a bolt down the back, could not find it at ALL anywhere. so did some quick stop jerks in driveway. bolt I was trying to find fell out along with ANOTHER unknown bolt.
so that is now at least 3 bolts that have fallen out of the engine area and I cant see where any are missing from. previous owner has the cats replaced so I almost sure it was them.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you had the chance to work on this project more?
Old 05-31-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

After market rear lights. I got the Spyder LED's. I don't like blaring red in the rear. I am thinking of blacking out those lower red lights. the left one is cracked anyway.
Whoa, those things are fugly.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I can get these Jetta grills to fit and also snap in!
This first one I may toss out and get 2 more. interestingly the bottoms have 4 big snaps on them, 3 will clip to the fenders molding the 4th I can cut a slit and clip it in. There is a slight gap on the left corner which I can either add bondo to fill in or try some heat gun bending. The grills need to be painted to black gloss so that will cover up any bondo if I go that route.
How does it look ignoring the uncut area?
That looks like Grille fail. Those two don't match at all. Make the sides the same RS style and dump that crappy looking honeycomb.

Quick Reply: RSQ7 Grill upgrade and some cleaning