Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Slamming, erm well Lowering a Q7 - Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slamming, erm well Lowering a Q7 - Issues?

Hey Guys & Girls, I am working on my Q7 at the moment and have done a few modifications but I would like to work on the suspension now.

I have some questions and have been forwarded here because the technical info isn't available with mechanics I've spoken too.

I am currently lowered on links but would like at times, down the line and perhaps in shows and car meets to be a little lower i.e lip to fender. Now I understand how the stock suspension works:

Air is released from the bag when lowered and the shocks are sitting lower than normal but when not moving, they're not under pressure. The oil in the shocks gets compressed when compressed/lowered.

Now with that said, does anyone here have experience of lowering beyond a few inches or more. Well actually I've seen the lowered thread of pics but would like written content on what to look out for.

When the shocks are lowered, beyond normal height, has anyone experienced them bottoming out? How much more pressure is placed on the seal in the shocks? Is it possible, the pressure from the compression will cause the oil to push back up and break the seal?

Basically I am looking for input from people who have lowered their Q7s beyond normal boundaries and what feedback you can offer?

Many thanks, Sam
Attached Thumbnails Slamming, erm well Lowering a Q7 - Issues?-q7-lowered-dubai.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sam,

I can't help you with the suspension questions but please post more pictures of your Q.

Grey
Old 02-14-2017, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that a little further explanation is required.

The ride height is governed by how much air is in each air bag unit. These units are a complete enclosure around the top of the dampers but their function is entirely separate.
Air bags carry the weight of the car, dampers simply control its movement.

Lowering the car using links is unnecessary, all you need to do is to change the reference height used when carry out a suspension adaption using VAG-COM.
If you set the height at each corner to be 20mm higher than it actually is then the control module will lower the car by 20mm to get it back to what it then thinks is correct.

I would say that lowering more than about 20mm is not a good idea. It wall cause all sorts of wear issues with both tyres, suspension and drivetrain components.

If it's just for display purposes and not to be driven, you can lower it as much as you like but of course it will cause problems with suspension bushes. They are all put under extra stress as the car is lowered.

You should not drive it at all when it is very low because as you drive the car will try to lower still further and could become dangerous.

Remember playing with car suspension when you do not fully understand how it works is potentially dangerous and you do so at your own risk.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the air suspension in my Q7 but in the summertime I net almost 5"s of lowering through my coil overs. I can tell you that the tie rods and cv angles are very extreme at that level although after 20,000km at that height all seems to be fine.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have tried several different ride heights. beyond 20mm front and 25mm rear and 21" wheels the ride turns to complete crap. From my experience the comfort zone was 15mm front and 20mm rear. I posted a few different threads on QW/AZ in addition to here. You can search for them and find the various values I tried for a couple hundred miles on each to find the best setting.

Ride Height from floor to center of fender arch:
30.75 Front 31.50 Rear