Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

steering wheel not straight and constant pull to the right

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel not straight and constant pull to the right

Hello: My new 2014 Q7 TDI has a desire (like a magnet) to pull to the right. I am constantly having to keep pressure on the wheel. Crowned streets, flat streets, varying speeds -same result. In addition, the steering wheel is about 2 degrees tilted to the left of center. The vehicle will not/cannot track straight. Dealer had car for a total of about two weeks re-aligning the front end then replacing all 4 continentals. Helped somewhat, but after an additional 2000 miles, the problem reared its head again. Now it incudes an occasional steering wheel shimmy at 60 mph and higher speeds depending on the road surface, along with light vibration. Dealer has been attentive and sympathetic, but unable to fix the problem. Is this a design flaw which cannot be repaired or ???
Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scotth
Hello: My new 2014 Q7 TDI has a desire (like a magnet) to pull to the right. I am constantly having to keep pressure on the wheel. Crowned streets, flat streets, varying speeds -same result. In addition, the steering wheel is about 2 degrees tilted to the left of center. The vehicle will not/cannot track straight. Dealer had car for a total of about two weeks re-aligning the front end then replacing all 4 continentals. Helped somewhat, but after an additional 2000 miles, the problem reared its head again. Now it incudes an occasional steering wheel shimmy at 60 mph and higher speeds depending on the road surface, along with light vibration. Dealer has been attentive and sympathetic, but unable to fix the problem. Is this a design flaw which cannot be repaired or ???
I'd ask for a four wheel alignment
Old 07-06-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

My take is there's only so many things that can cause a car to constantly pull to one side (and not just on crowned roads). In order of likelihood, defective tire, misalignment, defective/damaged/mis-calibrated suspension component, "dragging" brake or bent chassis frame. It seems strange it took your dealer two weeks to align the front and replace tires. I'm also surprised they didn't perform a four-wheel alignment which is recommended by Audi for all quattro vehicles.
A "shimmy" is usually a wheel balancing problem, defective tire or bent wheel. Worn control arm bushings can also cause this.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have had the same problem. 2014 q7 in dealership 3 time for a 4 wheel alignment and now have new tires. Car still pulled to the right. Ugh! Live the car but I'm about to call it a lemon as audi can't fix it. Any known fixes? Thanks for the help.