Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Stop-Sale initiated for all 3.0TDI vehicles in the VAG Family...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

that's the point of the article... they will most likely discontinue all tdi engines after 2020.
i would wager they go after tesla and the other e-cars with their e-tron bs.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's horrible news. I am not ready to go to bmw's unreliable diesel. or mercedes' boring bluetec. Would probably be mercedes if i had to choose.

the liberals have really fu*ed us all on this.

Somehow i have faith they will still sell TDIs for years to come. There is a huge fan base of TDI owners even after this fiasco. Those engines are just too good
Old 07-22-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

huge fan base for avant vehicles too... not bringing those over anytime soon.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
that's horrible news. I am not ready to go to bmw's unreliable diesel. or mercedes' boring bluetec. Would probably be mercedes if i had to choose.

the liberals have really fu*ed us all on this.

Somehow i have faith they will still sell TDIs for years to come. There is a huge fan base of TDI owners even after this fiasco. Those engines are just too good
Based in the doom & gloom tone of meeting the 2020 requirements, I wonder if Mercedes & BMW will still be in the diesel game either.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thoughts on the following interpretation & extrapolation....

To reduce the engine noise at idle, they inject more fuel and created the "Accoustic Function" to cheat the emissions.

Therefore, removing the Aacoustic Function really should have no effect on power or MPG's.

However, it'll put them off side on emissions and so they'll either have to cut back on the extra fuel at idle (which ironically should boost MPG's) which will make the engine noisier. OR, they have to crank up handling the emissions properly at idle which might tax the emissions system in terms of DEF and/or DPF, but since this is at idle it shouldn't affect power/torque. Right?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Lurker
Thoughts on the following interpretation & extrapolation....

To reduce the engine noise at idle, they inject more fuel and created the "Acoustic Function" to cheat the emissions.

Therefore, removing the Acoustic Function really should have no effect on power or MPG's.

However, it'll put them off side on emissions and so they'll either have to cut back on the extra fuel at idle (which ironically should boost MPG's) which will make the engine noisier. OR, they have to crank up handling the emissions properly at idle which might tax the emissions system in terms of DEF and/or DPF, but since this is at idle it shouldn't affect power/torque. Right?
I think it is the other way around. NOx is produced by running lean. ADDING fuel reduces NOx. Apparently adding fuel DURING combustion reduces noise (knock) also. Thus they added fuel during testing but referred to it as "Acoustic Function". Reduced NOx emissions AND knock during testing but turns off when driving. This is all just reading between the lines on my part so don't put too much stock in it.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I think it is the other way around. NOx is produced by running lean. ADDING fuel reduces NOx. Apparently adding fuel DURING combustion reduces noise (knock) also. Thus they added fuel during testing but referred to it as "Acoustic Function". Reduced NOx emissions AND knock during testing but turns off when driving. This is all just reading between the lines on my part so don't put too much stock in it.
This is how i interpret the whole thing also
Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best guess is VW is dragging out the 3.0 settlement to try and put the charge they'll take off until next year. Anything to delay an expense. Ultimately I believe they will buy back all of the 3.0s in states that won't register the cars moving forward and perhaps other states will let drivers choose whether to keep the car or participate in a buy-back.

I doubt there will be a fix for the 3.0s that both the regulators and owners will accept. I've driven the BMW diesel sedan and it drives like an underpowered econobox. VW/Audi only sold so many diesels here because they cheated drivers like us into thinking they were buying a clean diesel that performed like a gas car.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Looks like more bad news today.

VW V-6 Diesels Accused of Having More Emissions-Cheating Software ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

This description of software that operates differently after 20 minutes of driving is intriguing. In 2007 I bought a 5.7 liter Toyota Tundra. I soon noticed that it would get it's advertised 20 mpg on a highway run for 25 miles or so but that after that mileage deteriorated and it only got about 18 mpg if one drove it a long way. I noticed it because with a son living in Fort Worth, I often made that 600+ mile run and it would get a bit over 18 mpg. On the other hand our lake house is 42 miles from our home. On that run it would get close to 20 mpg. I noticed this over and over and never read of any explanation but I suspected ECU trickery to improve mileage ratings. Reading this makes me even more suspicious. I won't be surprised if we find that many manufacturers were using software to fool the EPA tests.
It unfortunately looks like our 3.0 TDI engines are in deep trouble. Wonder where this will finally end.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't have said so before, but you watch, gasoline engines will get involved as well. 3.0T, 2.0T.. etc.. Why would VW not use this technology in their gasoline engines, They never expected to be caught.

Quick Reply: Stop-Sale initiated for all 3.0TDI vehicles in the VAG Family...