Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Swapping head/tail lights from 2010 Q7 with 2007 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Sorry if I'm obnoxious, but I have a few questions. The LED Driver adapter seems junk because the lights will still flicker. It seems swapping the control unit is the only way to do this correctly

1.) So if I understand correctly, for the meantime all is working correctly (tail lights) even though component protection is still there?

2.) I don't have VCDS so this is probably a mod I can't do? All I thought you had to do was swap control units, and get Component protection removed from the Audi dealer?
The flicker while using the adapter is hard to notice though. Its dim and for such a short period of time that you can easily miss it even if staring at it.

To answer your questions..

1: Yes swap out with a new module and the tail lights WILL work even with CP still active. What didn't work for me was interior lights and the tailgate till CP was removed. What i did was, i used the old coding from the original module and copied it using VCDS to a text file. I then fitted the new module and pasted the coding into the new module.

2: VCDS wont remove CP. You need ODIS 5054a cable. Audi dealer may refuse to do the job. What i would do is, buy the module, buy the tail lights (separately or together), buy VAS 5054A cable from ebay for about 70$, install the supplied software on a laptop you have. Then let me know when you're ready to get CP removed, i know a guy that will do it remotely for you for about 60$.

It is really such a brilliant upgrade, you'll be happy you did it.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys im new in this site and i need your help i just bought a q7 2007 and i have friend who work in junk yard he found me a set of headlights and tail light and front signal lights from audi q7 2013 qem my question is can i just buy ecu and plug and play and they should be fonctionnel or i have to buy different headlights alredy wired from ebay because ebay full kits are expensive what should i do thank you
Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by j4g3d
The flicker while using the adapter is hard to notice though. Its dim and for such a short period of time that you can easily miss it even if staring at it.

To answer your questions..

1: Yes swap out with a new module and the tail lights WILL work even with CP still active. What didn't work for me was interior lights and the tailgate till CP was removed. What i did was, i used the old coding from the original module and copied it using VCDS to a text file. I then fitted the new module and pasted the coding into the new module.

2: VCDS wont remove CP. You need ODIS 5054a cable. Audi dealer may refuse to do the job. What i would do is, buy the module, buy the tail lights (separately or together), buy VAS 5054A cable from ebay for about 70$, install the supplied software on a laptop you have. Then let me know when you're ready to get CP removed, i know a guy that will do it remotely for you for about 60$.

It is really such a brilliant upgrade, you'll be happy you did it.
Hello guys im new in this site and i need your help i just bought a q7 2007 and i have friend who work in junk yard he found me a set of headlights and tail light and front signal lights from audi q7 2013 qem my question is can i just buy ecu and plug and play and they should be fonctionnel or i have to buy different headlights alredy wired from ebay because ebay full kits are expensive what should i do thank you
Old 05-13-2017, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Sorry if I'm obnoxious, but I have a few questions. The LED Driver adapter seems junk because the lights will still flicker. It seems swapping the control unit is the only way to do this correctly

1.) So if I understand correctly, for the meantime all is working correctly (tail lights) even though component protection is still there?

2.) I don't have VCDS so this is probably a mod I can't do? All I thought you had to do was swap control units, and get Component protection removed from the Audi dealer?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just did the same tail light upgrade for my 2007 - Q7. Looks a lot better. I went with the new module instead of the driver kit.

The lights themselves were plug n play, however I noticed a small difference between the 07 tail lights and the facelift ones.

It seems the led tail light have some kind of a corner on the bottom instead of a smooth curve like the original tail lights which makes them stand out a little bit.

Did anybody notice this? I heard somebody say something about using a file to grind the corner off, is that what you guys did?
Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cut it off with a cutting disc, you can leave a trim, it won't show
Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cool, thanks. I'll try it out this weekend!
Old 12-19-2018, 11:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fully functional cable for RETROFIT 2007 - 2009 to 2010 +

http://vnsmedia.com/en_GB/p/Set-of-LED-head-lights-retrofit-drivers-L-R-for-Audi-Q7/144#comment60
https://youtu.be/TFS696rIj_4