Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TDI engine hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TDI engine hesitation

I'm looking to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem I'm currently having.

I have a 2014 TDi (19,000 miles) and at low RPMs (1200-1500) when I'm in a higher gear and light on the throttle I will get a sputter or hesitation. Its defiantly something I can feel but the tach doesn't show anything. I'm not seeing any CEL or any other codes.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced the same thing the help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Evan
The following users liked this post:
PSShelton (06-02-2020)
Old 05-05-2015, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds similar to an issue I had with my previous Q. Can't help with diagnosis as I never got to the bottom of it. It was somewhat intermittent.
When already at speed, under acceleration it would refuse to go. Revs would not increase, almost like it was in limp mode. With cruise on, she would sometimes slow down on a nominal incline. It was fine from a standing start, both normal and harsh throttle.
Had Audi look at it a couple of times, even showed them a VCDS trace of throttle position vs revs, and although they could see the lack of acceleration, could not find a fault.
If you have a good Tech at the dealer, perhaps he can come out with you with a laptop plugged in and see if there is anything he can diagnose while it happens.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dave,

you ever have problems with fuel quality? I've been talking to a family friend that is a VW tech and he might think that my fuel quality is crap. He gave me some fuel dry and heavy detergent injector cleaner to run before I get my oil and fuel filter changed.

I'm hoping that this is a simple fix
Old 05-19-2015, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you sure your foot is not touching the brake pedal. I get a frequent stumble on acceleration. When I move my large foot away from barely touching the brake pedal, all is well.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Are you sure your foot is not touching the brake pedal. I get a frequent stumble on acceleration. When I move my large foot away from barely touching the brake pedal, all is well.
ME too! The throttle kill in the ECU is too sensitive. I often left foot brake because it allows a smoother transition from braking to acceleration and vice versa but on these Audi's it often results in a dead throttle.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

my foot definitely isn't touching the brake. I find its all the time now sometimes worse than others. If I'm going 25-30 mph and get on the gas lightly and just need it to maintain that speed it will almost feel like a misfire or that I'm not getting a full clean burn on one of the cylinders. Its a pulsing sensation and quite odd, sometimes its abrupt others times its like the engine isn't burning all the fuel and sluggish
Old 06-01-2015, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by efett
Dave,

you ever have problems with fuel quality? I've been talking to a family friend that is a VW tech and he might think that my fuel quality is crap. He gave me some fuel dry and heavy detergent injector cleaner to run before I get my oil and fuel filter changed.

I'm hoping that this is a simple fix
Definitely wasn't fuel. I have been using the same filling station for 10+ years and no other audi of mine has had the same issue. I did use a different brand of fuel for a couple of tanks at the time as I had a similar thought, but it made no difference.

It's not a brake problem either. It's difficult to describe the sensation when it happens, but pressing the brake kills the throttle. It's smooth and consistent. This issue here is not any of those things. There's a surge as it tries to accelerate and then it's killed immediately but then tries to accelerate again and gets killed..... The only way I can describe it is the moving walkway at a haunted house. The one that switches forward and back real quick. That's the sort of thing you get with this.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm hoping that you are not having a problem with your high pressure fuel pump. I felt the same thing you are sensing. I would be driving and would sometimes need to accelerate a little, but felt that dead spot before it would kick in. Since our Q7 is really my wife daily driver, I sometimes feel changes in the car that she doesn't feel. I've never sensed this issue before but was this time. 150 miles later and I'm dead on the road. HPFP disintegrated. I honestly feel this is a small sign that HPFP is ready to go out.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ariel69
I'm hoping that you are not having a problem with your high pressure fuel pump. I felt the same thing you are sensing. I would be driving and would sometimes need to accelerate a little, but felt that dead spot before it would kick in. Since our Q7 is really my wife daily driver, I sometimes feel changes in the car that she doesn't feel. I've never sensed this issue before but was this time. 150 miles later and I'm dead on the road. HPFP disintegrated. I honestly feel this is a small sign that HPFP is ready to go out.

hmm... good to know. its due for a service soon so I will hopefully have it looked at. I was also thinking it might be the turbo actuator is out of calibration.

the hardest part for me on this is I can go for 4-5 days and not have it do anything then for a week straight I feel it all the time. Did you experience that at all?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2015, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was certainly intermittent for me. It would go days without an issue, then even the tiniest acceleration would set it off. It got so bad one day that I was literally stamping on the accelerator to get it to move.

Have you had yours from new ?
I did wonder if a previous owner had re-mapped mine and screwed it up. He only had it 6 months which seems a little quick to get rid of this car.

Quick Reply: TDI engine hesitation