Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Is it time for a timing chain replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time for a timing chain replacement?

I recently purchased a 2008 Q7 4.2L. It has fewer than 60K miles, but I've heard that you should have the chain replaced every 7 years or 100K miles. Going on 8 years here... any words of wisdom for a new Audi owner? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The timing chain should be good for the life of the car. You're thinking of a timing belt which isn't in the Q7. But, At 8 years it's time to replace HID bulbs and battery if they haven't already been done. Mechanically the Q7 should be fine if all scheduled maintenance has been done prior. Congrats on the Q!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the weak point is the timing chain guides. typically an issue between 90-110k on this engine. at 60k it would be premature unless you hear a very loud ticking/clattering sound on cold start then it would be cause for concern and this is an engine out service so it is quite costly. if you are keeping long term you may as well have a bunch of items completed at the same time otherwise this may be a good time to consider selling and pursuing other options.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by D3Audi
The timing chain should be good for the life of the car. You're thinking of a timing belt which isn't in the Q7. But, At 8 years it's time to replace HID bulbs and battery if they haven't already been done. Mechanically the Q7 should be fine if all scheduled maintenance has been done prior. Congrats on the Q!
Thanks, that is reassuring. Yeah, we love the car. Like, REALLY love it. Of course, I was stepping up from a 4-cyl family car, so the Q7 is a dream.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by iconoclast
the weak point is the timing chain guides. typically an issue between 90-110k on this engine. at 60k it would be premature unless you hear a very loud ticking/clattering sound on cold start then it would be cause for concern and this is an engine out service so it is quite costly. if you are keeping long term you may as well have a bunch of items completed at the same time otherwise this may be a good time to consider selling and pursuing other options.
Hmmm. Your response made me pause. I have heard a rattle on start up 2-3 times, but it went away almost immediately. I've read a little about it this morning, and I know this could indicate poor oil circulation. The car is coming up on an oil change, so I'm hoping that will fix it. Yes, we plan to keep the car long-term. Thanks so much for your input!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
do you mean this sound?? I get it in the morning and sometimes after work. lasts for 45seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3og...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bspurloc
do you mean this sound?? I get it in the morning and sometimes after work. lasts for 45seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3og...ature=youtu.be
No, it's definitely a chain like rattle, and it disappears right after the engine turns over. It only lasts a couple seconds.

The sound in your video sounds like bad lifters. My father-in-law had an old Acura that made that sound for about a year before he junked it. He didn't feel like putting more money into engine repairs when so many other things were starting to go bad.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MargaretR
No, it's definitely a chain like rattle, and it disappears right after the engine turns over. It only lasts a couple seconds.

The sound in your video sounds like bad lifters. My father-in-law had an old Acura that made that sound for about a year before he junked it. He didn't feel like putting more money into engine repairs when so many other things were starting to go bad.
it may be a cam chain tensioner. i had the issue with my 4.2 v8 touareg. never broke on me or anything like that
Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
it may be a cam chain tensioner. i had the issue with my 4.2 v8 touareg. never broke on me or anything like that
Yeah, that's the conclusion I can to based on other posts I've read. I'm hoping that an oil system cleaner and oil change will free it up. It's only happened a couple times so far, so we'll see.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I decided to film my engine starting from the outside to see if there were any different sounds that I don't hear in the cabin, and there was. Is this the timing chain rattle? Listen right after the engine turns over.. Should I be concerned, or just ignore it?

Quick Reply: Is it time for a timing chain replacement?