Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Trailer Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump old thread for quick question. I just ordered control module for trailer and I need harness from the module to hitch. Does anyone know part number for harness and where to order? Also I need standard 4-way flat connector for trailer side. Do I need specific adapter for it? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am going to put this out here as a possible alternative to purchasing the control module. I am wondering if the prewired (red) harness wires could be used with this product ILO each tail/brake light wire.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...cc-onlyreviews

Make sure to scroll up to the top of the page!

Let me know your thoughts, I have been holding off on getting the oem controller for quite a while. Thanks
Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it's possible, I looked around and bought the hitch and controller box from a 2008 Q7 for my 2013. All I had to do was make a wiring harness cable. I put my write up on the forum some place. hitch was $100 and the controller was $100 plus they gave me whatever else they had. I knew a guy at a shop that just replaced the wiring harness on another Q7 and he gave me the harness to copy. I don't have anything in front of me to reference. I think there is a few more wires on the red connector that you have to get info for. but I think it would work if you know what wire is what. it's basically still the 4 prong wiring for a trailer. but the hitch plug is setup to handle 7 wires along with the controller.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The etrailer part will be here on Thursday so I am going to give it a try, does anybody have data on the red plug wire assignment or where the tail/stop/blinker module is located?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Tatunka
The etrailer part will be here on Thursday so I am going to give it a try, does anybody have data on the red plug wire assignment or where the tail/stop/blinker module is located?

Thanks!
Tatunka:

No follow up since January 30.... Do you have any results to report?

I hope that things were successful for you!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just an update for others if helpful:

I installed the ZCI unit on my Q7 yesterday. Works perfectly!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by -Wes-
Tatunka:

No follow up since January 30.... Do you have any results to report?

I hope that things were successful for you!
The installation was simple enough and successful however, the red plug did me no good whatsoever. I traced the stop lights, blinker and running to the spare tire area and tied in there.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found the same to be true regarding the brake wire. I ended up installing mine in the gate, and found that the blinker/brake signal ran identically through two wires. So, it was simple enough to just connect the left and tail to the connector on the left light, and the right signal to the connector on the right light. The module and wiring stored away within the gate, and was able to run the power wire under the moulding all the way back through the hinge.

I pulled a large U-Haul trailer with it that same night, and, I must say, the Q7 TDI is a beast. I would have never known the trailer was back there except for the blocked rear-view and the hit to my fuel economy!
Old 04-22-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is a follow-up post to generally provide more information related to ZCI install on a 2014 Q7 TDI. Photos, etc.

As mentioned previously, I installed in the lift gate. I pulled all of the interior paneling off the door, then mounted the box inside the gate shell. I grounded it nearby, ran the flat-4 connector into the compartment in the cover (not sure what the real purpose of it is, but it seems to work well for this application!), tapped onto the tail/turn wiring just inside the lamp connectors on either side of the gate, then ran the power wire along the main wiring bundle under the left hinge and into the vehicle.

The following connectors are used:

Left Turn: Connected to Black wire with Grey stripe.
Right Turn: Connected to Black wire with Blue stripe.
Tail: Connected to Grey wire with Black stripe.

Open gate showing the left access panel and center compartment.

Center compartment on gate, opened to reveal the flat-4 connector. I used a utility knife to open up the access point a bit in order to allow the wiring through without conflicting with the latch.

Left access panel for the tail connector.....

Pry point for the access panels (this is on the right side).

Left lighting connector with left turn (yellow) and Tail (lower right connector).

Right side with the right turn connector attached.

Left hinge showing wiring bundle and 12V power cable.

Finished appearance.

This is my pry screwdriver - just heated the end to bend it (many, many years ago).

Last edited by -Wes-; 04-22-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Just an FYI, when you use the factory controller and plug a trailer in, the system checks the lights on the trailer and as far as I am aware changes things like brake and transmission behavior. On Q7's with factory air suspension, it also changes how that behaves (leveling and anti-sway).

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring Help