Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Used purchase thoughts; Adjustable Susp & Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used purchase thoughts; Adjustable Susp & Supercharged?

Has anyone heard of problems with the Superchargers on the 4.2s or the adjustable suspensions on the late 2000 model Q7s? I am looking between a 2009 4.2/supercharged and a 3.6 with an adjustable suspension. I've wanted to stay clear of the adjustables, though I'm sure everyone here has a more honest view on them. Love the late 2000 Q7s, though I'm worried as to what could catch me. (Other than the sunroof channels)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Postal91
Has anyone heard of problems with the Superchargers on the 4.2s or the adjustable suspensions on the late 2000 model Q7s? I am looking between a 2009 4.2/supercharged and a 3.6 with an adjustable suspension. I've wanted to stay clear of the adjustables, though I'm sure everyone here has a more honest view on them. Love the late 2000 Q7s, though I'm worried as to what could catch me. (Other than the sunroof channels)
There are no superchargers on the 4.2 engine in the q7.

The 3.0T is supercharged, but those were introduced in 2011
Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's what I thought, until I saw this;
http://imagescdn.dealercarsearch.com...3744925866.jpg

Is that an aftermarket job? If so, I'll probably be running for the hills. HOLY CRUD! I just pulled up the PES, as I've been looking at the set-up for the supercharger and nothing looks fluid and fit as a factory job would be. That appears to be aftermarket through PES, which I have no clue about. Great.

Originally Posted by raj99
There are no superchargers on the 4.2 engine in the q7.

The 3.0T is supercharged, but those were introduced in 2011

Last edited by Postal91; 02-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Postal91
That's what I thought, until I saw this;
http://imagescdn.dealercarsearch.com...3744925866.jpg

Is that an aftermarket job? If so, I'll probably be running for the hills. HOLY CRUD! I just pulled up the PES, as I've been looking at the set-up for the supercharger and nothing looks fluid and fit as a factory job would be. That appears to be aftermarket through PES, which I have no clue about. Great.
Yes, that's an aftermarket unit. That 09 Q7 4.2 you're looking at is pretty nice, with the rear headset monitors and other upgrades. But with an aftermarket supercharger and the fact the vehicle is in FL, who knows how well it's been taken care of. At 90K miles and asking price of $20K, that decision is up to you if you want to take the plunge. The PES supercharger and install would have cost quite a few $$.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya, I'm loving the red full body look of that one. I'm trying so hard to find an 07/8/9 with the 2nd row bucket seats, but it's proving insanely difficult to get the options I want without it being monster miles or missing other items. That would have been perfect had it not had the Supercharger and a tow pack, but maybe that's how it is for me. I'm trying to stay away from the adjustable susp because I've heard some bad things about those. (Reminds me of when I was in Service and the allroads would come in)

You are right, though. I can only imagine the $$$ tossed into that engine. Both NADA and Edmunds have the price as being higher for dealer. As for FL, I'm not thinking an older retired couple put that Supercharger in. haha

Does anyone have recs on finding those damn bucket seats? I thought they were only in 4.2s, but I found them in a 2007 3.6, which completely threw me off.

Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by raj99
Yes, that's an aftermarket unit. That 09 Q7 4.2 you're looking at is pretty nice, with the rear headset monitors and other upgrades. But with an aftermarket supercharger and the fact the vehicle is in FL, who knows how well it's been taken care of. At 90K miles and asking price of $20K, that decision is up to you if you want to take the plunge. The PES supercharger and install would have cost quite a few $$.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, I hadn't heard of the PES supercharger kit before. Only one I was familiar with was the MTM which was $30k iirc. PES looks to be around $13k.

My 07 4.2 air suspension has been flawless since new. No maintenance whatsoever required and I know it is a much more robust system compared with the old Allroad.

I do also believe that the 2nd row buckets were only available on the 4.2 like mine.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I thought the same on the 2nd row. I'm trying to figure all the features out, as the 2007-9 Q7s are in the price point of what I am looking for. Have just had my worries about the suspension, timing chain and sunroof channels.

I appreciate the help, and I'm a bit worried on the PES kit... though I imagine the performance would be awesome, which is not what I'm really looking for (but the younger side of my LOVES, and the wife would not like so much)

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Interesting, I hadn't heard of the PES supercharger kit before. Only one I was familiar with was the MTM which was $30k iirc. PES looks to be around $13k.

My 07 4.2 air suspension has been flawless since new. No maintenance whatsoever required and I know it is a much more robust system compared with the old Allroad.

I do also believe that the 2nd row buckets were only available on the 4.2 like mine.