Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Ventilated Seat questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ventilated Seat questions

Just bought a 2012 Prestige with the s-line interior. Everything I have understood about the options packages for this year says that ventilated seats were included. The original sticker for the car specially mentions ventilated front seats. However, there is no button to control said ventilated front seats. Looking online, I see pictures of HVAC controls with the ventilated seat button under the heated seat button, mine has a blank there.

What gives?
Old 04-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4-380
Just bought a 2012 Prestige with the s-line interior. Everything I have understood about the options packages for this year says that ventilated seats were included. The original sticker for the car specially mentions ventilated front seats. However, there is no button to control said ventilated front seats. Looking online, I see pictures of HVAC controls with the ventilated seat button under the heated seat button, mine has a blank there.

What gives?
You don't have ventilated seats!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

kind of figure that.

Question is, anyone know why?
Old 04-17-2015, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have sticker codes for them, then either it was supplied like that and previous owner did not notice, or the HVAC unit has been replaced for one without the ventilated seat button.
If it's CPO, you may have some luck with the dealer.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

so the plot thickens. The seats do have the ventilation fans, and the front seat heaters do not seem to work at all.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll ask the obvious here, but the primary seat faces are perforated, correct?
Old 04-17-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's an Audi CPO, and IF the VIN shows ventilated seats were part of the package then you probably have a case with AOA- But that is one of the strangest things I've heard of. Keep us informed as to what you find out. (Make sure you tell the dealership the ventilated seats was a primary reason you bought the car)
Old 04-17-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
I'll ask the obvious here, but the primary seat faces are perforated, correct?
yes.

And yes, I have the original sticker for the car and it shows ventilated seats. As I said, the seats actually have the fans in them. I'm assuming someone removed or replaced the HVAC head unit to deal with or troubleshoot the heated seat issue and replaced it with the incorrect version. Obviously can't say if it was intentional or not, but the car has 30k miles on it and it was a one owner car, so there would have been no reason for the previous owner to take it anywhere but an audi dealership. The 2 service records on carfax were from the dealership I bought the car at. The optimist in me wants to think this is a mistake, but the car person thinks there may be something fishy at hand. Either way, the dealership at this point is NOT giving me the run around and has indicated they will get it set right. It's complicated because the selling dealer is several states away, but they had no issue with me using my local dealer to diagnose/troubleshoot/fix this issue.

My initial appointment is Thursday. We shall see what happens at that point.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I figured as much and then remembered I had seen your screen name on another forum. If I recall, you are pretty fearless when it comes to disassembling significant portions of a vehicle (i.e. your R8) to debug an issue in the appropriate circumstances, so I'm sure you aren't missing anything obvious or even more subtle with your Q7.

Because the selling dealer is advocating you have your local dealer debug the problem (what choice to they have though?) seems to be a good indicator that the issue will be worked out on Audi's nickel, but I'd agree it's strange that an "in warranty" vehicle would have the wrong HVAC part ordered and installed to debug an issue. You do hear stranger stories on occasion though- some dealer service departments do make mistakes and are all too quick to cover up and play dumb. You'd hope Audi doesn't allow that, but I've had my own issues with Audi CPO cars in the past where the selling dealer (out of state) and servicing dealer point the finger at each other on an issue or two I've found.

Good luck with it....

Last edited by VAG-Fan1; 04-18-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

the correct hvac headunit solved both the heated and ventilated seat issues.

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat questions