Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Need Advice on Going From a Q7 to a Q7-TDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Going From a Q7 to a Q7-TDI

Hello All! First time poster, 4 1/2 year Audi owner! I currently have an '07 Q7, I'm looking to upgrade to a 2012 Q7-TDI (possibly tomorrow)! I was wondering if you have a diesel, what do you love about it and what do you not love about it. Can you also let me know how much the tires are for 20 inch tires and if you go thru brake pads quickly?!? Do you know if there is more, less or the same as far as maintenance in comparison to my current Q7? Last question, the dealership is asking $46,000 for the car and it has 36,000 miles and a clean Carfax history. Drive it earlier and it drives like a freaking dream! Sorry I have so many questions!!! Thank you south in advance!
Old 05-16-2014, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We have had our TDI do 4 days now. I can tell you that on a trip, you can get over 30mpg with it, if you are easy! I travelled from Wilkes Barre to Pttsburgh and got 31.7mpg. I've done the research, TDI's are very torquey and very smooth. You won't be disappointed. Tires are findable in that size for under $200 per corner. OEM tires are quit expensive. Do a search on tires. Lots of info.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by txaudimom
Hello All! First time poster, 4 1/2 year Audi owner! I currently have an '07 Q7, I'm looking to upgrade to a 2012 Q7-TDI (possibly tomorrow)! I was wondering if you have a diesel, what do you love about it and what do you not love about it. Can you also let me know how much the tires are for 20 inch tires and if you go thru brake pads quickly?!? Do you know if there is more, less or the same as far as maintenance in comparison to my current Q7? Last question, the dealership is asking $46,000 for the car and it has 36,000 miles and a clean Carfax history. Drive it earlier and it drives like a freaking dream! Sorry I have so many questions!!! Thank you south in advance!
If you're happy with the pricing, go get it! 46k is high though, with the discounts that can be had and the next to nil interest rates on new car loans, the annual cost of a new one is likely to be lower. Also, the 2013+ the has more power, better mileage, is quieter and they say some of the engine's guts have been re-engineered to be simpler and more reliable (timing chain).
I would strongly consider a new one vs a used one at 46k.

Had a gas q7 for 4 years, now have a tdi. Loved both but prefer the tdi. The city mileage on the tdi is about on par with the highway mileage on the old gasser or otherwise a drive in really bad commute traffic with the tdi will give you the same mileage as one with no traffic and gentle driving in the old gas version. The tdi is a bit slower but it doesn't feel it. There is turbo lag but once you're on the boost the torque is immense. It accelerates with a lot less drama compared to the gas version. Driving uphill is a riot, waaaay more fun and faster than the gasser. Quieter too (you'd expect the opposite).
Both are very heavy, with the tdi being marginally heavier, so both will chew through tires, pads and rotors just as fast.
Tdis generally outlast gas engines and their resale value is higher so you will recoup a good part of the premium paid. Overall, you're not necessarily saving much vs the gas version but you stand a good chance of coming ahead over a few years.
Don't know about maintenance costs, never had one outside warranty/audi care but, from what i read, the tdi's typical issues are less severe than those of the gas engine's (carbon build-up in particular). I also have another diesel, bought new in 2005, and the engine has been fine since. Lots of electric issues (Vw gremlins, the usual) but the engine has been solid.

Oh yes, and the transmission is way way smoother in the diesel (different programming due to the very different torque curve). Way smoother.

Last edited by aqaqaq123; 05-16-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Congrats on your new Q7!

Just bought a '11 Q7 TDI about 120 miles from home (we don't live anywhere near an Audi dealership). Drove it about an hour to drop a friend off, then another hour home (all highway, but not much on the interstate). Got GREAT gas mileage, showing a total range of about 600 miles per tank!!

Since my daily commute is also mostly highway (6 miles into town highway, another 1 mile "in town") I think I'll be getting at least double the gas mileage from my old Tundra.

I haven't pulled anything with it yet, so can't comment on that but plan to get the trailer hooked up this weekend and go to Home Depot so I'll come back and update. From what I've read it tows just as well as the 5.7L V8 in the Tundra, which towed like a dream.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had our CPO 2012 Q7 TDI for 18 months. Now at 35,000 miles. Diesel fuel is easy to find in the Dallas area. We replaced the 20" tires last fall with Continental ExtremeContact DWS (same as I run on my S6) to ensure top level performance and safety. These tires are more costly than others but I prefer top-tier tires on a top-tier vehicle.

Best wishes with your Q7!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2011 TDI prestige S-line and it now has 95,000 miles on it. It does like to consume (20") tires and brakes but both are reasonable. I just replaced all rotors and pads (myself) for under $400. If you loved your 07, you'll love the TDI even more.