Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Water in spare tire well - sunroof drain issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 02:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in spare tire well - sunroof drain issue?

Hi all,

I noticed today after a few days of raining that there was a small amount of water in the spare tire well on my 2010 Q7. I wouldn't have noticed if i hadn't pulled everything out for sound deadening as part of an ongoing sound system build . I peeked into the side panels but cannot see anything, it is literally just in the spare tire well, but I guess it ends up there through gravity.

Could this be a sunroof drain issue? If so, any method to figure out if this is the case, any root cause analysis I can carry out? Also - if it indeed is related to the sunroof, any DIY on fixing it? Many thanks in advance, cheers.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you that I've had multiple sunroof drains replaced in only the last 2 years (under warranty) and on one occasion I did discover water underneath the spare. Shortly after, water began soaking through the headliner in the back after heavy rain. Rear sunroof drains replaced and no issues - until 2 months ago when the whole MMI went out. Sure enough, the Amp was shot due to water damage. Audi fixed everything and even replaced the rear drains a second time just in case. Even my service manager says the drain system is garbage, even in the 2010+ models.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi again,

I can now feed back that it actually wasnt a sunroof drain issue, it was the trunk seal which was faulty. I have replaced it and no more water =)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Reviving an old thread. I was looking for trailer wiring in the spare tire well on my 2008 Q7 (did not find it, but that's another post) and there was water in that well.
I would say about 2-3 gallons of water, a few inches in there.
Should I replace the trunk gasket? It had rained a lot and I also went through a car wash a few days before.
I also get water on the passenger side rear door inside after a rain. If I open the car door after an overnight rain, a few cups of water splashes out that was trapped at the bottom of the door where it meets the car. Is that the door gasket?
Thanks!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can see the water is dripping in where the 3rd row seatbelt comes out of the ceiling...
it drips down and into the spare tire well.
trunk gasket?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jhyatt
I can see the water is dripping in where the 3rd row seatbelt comes out of the ceiling...
it drips down and into the spare tire well.
trunk gasket?
Your rear sunroof drains have finally detached from the insanely dumb design flaw of drain tubes draining onto the down tubes instead of INTO them like a funnel.
If you do not fix this ASAP your BOSS amp is going to fry causing the MMI to stop working and it only gets worse from there.
there are several posts about this, I made a post and a youtube video on hot to fix these yourself by pulling the drain adapters off the down tubes, using a heat gun to expand the tube and insert the adapters into them so it works like a FUNNEL instead of audis insanely ignorant setup.
also I made a post and video how to check your front drains.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
I am pretty sure this is the problem. I found your post
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-area-2920153/
and video
and will tackle this tomorrow.
The BOSE subwoofer is toast and I bought a used one on ebay for $42. Right after I read your post the MMI screen went white then black. Any chance of this coming back? Is this just a module to replace? Or more to it...
Hopefully I can pull the interior trim/headliner down without issue.

Originally Posted by bspurloc
Your rear sunroof drains have finally detached from the insanely dumb design flaw of drain tubes draining onto the down tubes instead of INTO them like a funnel.
If you do not fix this ASAP your BOSS amp is going to fry causing the MMI to stop working and it only gets worse from there.
there are several posts about this, I made a post and a youtube video on hot to fix these yourself by pulling the drain adapters off the down tubes, using a heat gun to expand the tube and insert the adapters into them so it works like a FUNNEL instead of audis insanely ignorant setup.
also I made a post and video how to check your front drains.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure on that.
My video kind of stinks as I was on the phone with someone while doing it lol, but I looked how to get most of the interior down from another video.
I did try to explain all the issues I encountered to make up for it though.
Hopefully this went well for you.
I believe you can just add another BOSS amp it needs to be added through VAGCOM, I do not know how to do that though?
Maybe its serial number just needs to be added i'm not sure, I was under the impression some sort of security codes were needed.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. I started it myself and then decided to have a mechanic do it.
Your fix with the cut and then heat gun over it worked well. The other side had been slathered with silicone by a prior mechanic!

Originally Posted by bspurloc
Not sure on that.
My video kind of stinks as I was on the phone with someone while doing it lol, but I looked how to get most of the interior down from another video.
I did try to explain all the issues I encountered to make up for it though.
Hopefully this went well for you.
I believe you can just add another BOSS amp it needs to be added through VAGCOM, I do not know how to do that though?
Maybe its serial number just needs to be added i'm not sure, I was under the impression some sort of security codes were needed.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mate, putting a good condition second hand bose amplifier will bring the MMI back online but you will still experience sound problems as audi locks out the potential of the new amplifier to do what it needs to do as it senses its from another Q7. You will need to take it to audi & have them re-sync the amplifier to your car to allow it to work correctly, pain in the *** but they are the only ones that can do this and no vag-com or vcds can do it.
their system is a component protection control that checks your new second hand parts against any “known” stolen vehicles on their register & and if the chassis number is good they will change it to suit your chassis number.
All the best

Quick Reply: Water in spare tire well - sunroof drain issue?