Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

NO: Webasto not blowing enough heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO: Webasto not blowing enough heat

I have posted this in the vag-com section, but maby i have
Posted it in the wrong section, so ill just paste it here in the q7 section.

Hi!
Just managed to fix my thermo top C webasto at the dealer.
Everything works and no vag-com errors detected.
After i run the webasto for 45minutes the engine temperature (needle)
Has barely moved upwards.

Also the blower only blows at speed 1 out of 12, or not at all.
My webasto has the valve n279 fitted. Still when i start the webasto
There in no blowing

I saw a volvo with the webasto of a friend, and the inside vent is blowing a lot.

While the webasto is on, i can adjust the blower, but as soon as i turn it off and turn it on again it stil wont blow..
So far i have only used the remote, but still, should the blower not blow more hot air??

Car: Q7 3.0 v6 2007 2xsline

Any help is really helpful and THANKS in advance! )
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Today i set the timer, and the inside of the car was warm and it was warmed properly.
Why does it not blow like this when using the remote?

Still the engine temp gauge did not show any life..
Old 10-27-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that the water pump only circulates heated water through the heater matrix and not around the engine so the engine temp gauge will stay showing cold.

I believe the Webasto heater is designed as a cabin heater not and engine heater although you could of course play around with the setup to allow it to heat the engine as well.

It may be an after market fitting on your car because I did not think he petrol engine cars had the heater fitted.

I cannot suggest why it only works when started using the timer and not from the remote control.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
I believe that the water pump only circulates heated water through the heater matrix and not around the engine so the engine temp gauge will stay showing cold.

I believe the Webasto heater is designed as a cabin heater not and engine heater although you could of course play around with the setup to allow it to heat the engine as well.

It may be an after market fitting on your car because I did not think he petrol engine cars had the heater fitted.

I cannot suggest why it only works when started using the timer and not from the remote control.

It is original. Im from norway, and here theysold them with the option with webasto thermo top c. My has all the functions. My has the option with the valve to heat the inside, and after it has heated the inside to the desired temp then it also starts heating up the engine (thats what the valve N279 does and its not an option on all q7's with webasto).

I think maby the dealer did not code it correctly? Or Maby i just dont know how to use it :P

Also, maby there is a sensor that activates the heater even more when its colder? The outside temp was 8 celcius, could that be too hot for the webasto to really kick in? Btw, i got vag-com. No errors.

.. interesting
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q793
It is original. Im from norway, and here theysold them with the option with webasto thermo top c. My has all the functions. My has the option with the valve to heat the inside, and after it has heated the inside to the desired temp then it also starts heating up the engine (thats what the valve N279 does and its not an option on all q7's with webasto).

I think maby the dealer did not code it correctly? Or Maby i just dont know how to use it :P

Also, maby there is a sensor that activates the heater even more when its colder? The outside temp was 8 celcius, could that be too hot for the webasto to really kick in? Btw, i got vag-com. No errors.

.. interesting

By the way, its a diesel TDI.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, did you manage to make it working please? I have same issue, Audi Q7, 2006, V6 3.0 TDI, built-in webasto from factory, I have added remote control to use it remotely. After starting remotely, then webasto starts working, but inner fans just blowing on 1, I have feeling they are not turning on at all, but webasto working (can hear that). When I unlock the car and open the doors, then AC turn on but still fans blowing on 1, maybe even nothing, really strange behaviour. I already changed to part 4L0 910 181 (Battery monitoring control unit), but result still the same. Even I keep car on charger to be sure that battery is fully charged, the result is the same.

I have webasto built-in from factory on my previous cars, but there were Fords (Mondeo MK4, Edge), it worked perfectly, remotely started and after 15-20 minutes really hot inside. In Q7 after 30 mins webasto stops and inside still cold (-5 degress right now).
Did you find the issue please?

Thanks a lot
Old 12-07-2023, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 707 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Work The Problem :)

Originally Posted by zewl
Hi, did you manage to make it working please? I have same issue, Audi Q7, 2006, V6 3.0 TDI, built-in webasto from factory, I have added remote control to use it remotely. After starting remotely, then webasto starts working, but inner fans just blowing on 1, I have feeling they are not turning on at all, but webasto working (can hear that). When I unlock the car and open the doors, then AC turn on but still fans blowing on 1, maybe even nothing, really strange behaviour. I already changed to part 4L0 910 181 (Battery monitoring control unit), but result still the same. Even I keep car on charger to be sure that battery is fully charged, the result is the same.

Thanks a lot
You should approach with an eye to what changed rather than it being a fault of the car.

As yours is a 'factory install' and worked 100% fine until you added the remote activation capability to your Webasto parking heater, it would seem the problem is with the remote control setup and/or coding that supports remote control usage is the underlying issue///perhaps the remote unit isn't coded into all the modules it needs to be, which could be several, to include the HVAC control module, so that's how I suggest you should approach troubleshooting it...objectively.

Baseline for troubleshooting: Verify it works fine when parking heater is activated using the in-car protocol. If yes, then research the internet for known issues when adding the remote control to the Webasto heater, or similar type of search, etc. Basically you need to verify all the coding aspects of using the remote control successfully. The remote works as it fires up the Webasto, but as you've already noted, the 'normal' HVAC activities aren't happening inside the car, so that's your disconnect. You need to find what's missing from the remote control installation, whether it be coding, an adaptation, whatever. If you paid someone to install the remote for you, you should take it back to them, as they missed some details.

There's at least one archival thread on this forum that speaks directly to all the details of retrofitting the Webasto heater onto a TDI (we didn't get that option in North America market, but doesn't mean we don't want it), and the owner did install the remote control unit for the Webasto, etc., so that might be of some use to you.
Here's that thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...rofit-2993918/

Here's a search engine result, which nets multiple online forum posts, Ross-Tech posts, etc., of folks trying to figure out how to set it up correctly.
https://www.google.com/search?client...CwAgA&ie=UTF-8
Old 12-08-2023, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, thanks for your response!
First of all it's hard to test original conditions, as that builtin webasto was supposed to run just in case engine on to heat up cabine quickly and there's no scheduling option in my Q7 to run it manually.

Webasto remote control was installed by local webasto service partner, so I need to go there again and let them fix that. But it seems that Q793had similar issues so I was curious how was that fixed before managing all stuff related to leave car for several days in service again.

But anyway, thanks for your response.
The following users liked this post:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (12-08-2023)