Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

What exactly is needed for Led Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What exactly is needed for Led Conversion?

Hello, I just recently got a 2008 Audi Q7 4.2 Premium in silver (non S-Line) and I love it! It's a great car! Anyway, I've been stocking audizine and AudiWorld for a while with the idea of converting the rear pre-facelift halogen Taillights to the post-facelift Led Taillights, from what I've read, I need taillight pair (obviously) and adapter? And a controle module? What is a controle module and where do I get it? I found this, will this work with the Taillights..? Will I need anything else than just the Taillights with this kit?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251892286497

Also, for the headlights and turn signals, mine are AFS, can I buy an adapter and US spec 2010+ led headlights and put them in? Are all USA spec 2010+ led headlights non AFS? Why can't I just swap my bulbs and stuff right over? I would like to do this but I would like to do it as cheap as possible.. I don't need the headlights, if it's way to expensive I'll just buy those cheap led turn signal/drl thing on eBay for $250 and call it a day.. Lol, I dont mind my pre-facelift headlights that much.. I've done research and what I'm asking for is a "simpler" less complex explanation.. I'm not really smart when it comes to this stuff, anyway, I'm glad to be on Audi World now :-) thanks :-)
Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The tailights are not complex, you only need a new module or adapter and trim the bottom of the new lights.

For the front, since you already have AFS you'll need to stick to it. You'll need new headlights, bulbs, ballasts. You can take the AFS module from your old headlights. You will need eighter an adapter or a new control module to make the headlights run properly.

If you choose to go only with LED turn signals from OEM, you'll need an adapter or fabricate one and trim the bumper. Or choose the eBay stuff that has the adapter already included.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions to ask.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B490MTL
The tailights are not complex, you only need a new module or adapter and trim the bottom of the new lights.

For the front, since you already have AFS you'll need to stick to it. You'll need new headlights, bulbs, ballasts. You can take the AFS module from your old headlights. You will need eighter an adapter or a new control module to make the headlights run properly.

If you choose to go only with LED turn signals from OEM, you'll need an adapter or fabricate one and trim the bumper. Or choose the eBay stuff that has the adapter already included.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions to ask.

Thanks, I'm just gonna stick to the Taillights for now I guess, So if I just do Taillights I don't need a comfort control module? Or do I need one no matter what? Or should I buy that adapter on eBay and it should work? Are the plugs the same for the q7 Taillights facelift and preface lift? I really don't know what to go about getting if I want to do just the Taillights... I've read around on the forums but I still have no clue, so if I buy the led Taillights and an adapter it should work fine? I'm really confused with this.. Haha, thanks :-)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's a writeup, I have used it and it worked fine, but you will need the comfort module or adapter to make it work. http://www.oemplus.com/DIY/Q7_LED_Tail_Lamps.pdf
Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the European tail lights. What part flashes yellow? The lower set, middle set or upper set of lights? Picture on the above URL shows lower, but I've seen middle in pics.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's the upper part that flashes yellow.

Bottom is tail, middle is brakes.

Last edited by B490MTL; 04-22-2015 at 05:50 PM.