Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Wife wants new wheels for 09' Q7...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
if your wife would like new wheels don't go bigger than the oem 20" five spoke especially if you do not have adaptive suspension. you'll be taking them off few hundred miles down the road. if you have adaptive suspension the oem 21" ride well and take a beating and there are winter tires that work very well for them. i've had them in double ditch snow in single digit weather.
Meh, just get the KW Comfort. The ride is absolutely spectacular compared even to the air ride. I'm running 22 with 25 sidewall and my ride is better than stock 20's.

Last edited by nthusiastt; 08-05-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most people do not want to spend $4k+install on coil over suspension for a family hauling SUV. As you can see by the decade this vehicle has been out only a handful of people on have them.

Originally Posted by nthusiastt
I'm running 22 with 25 sidewall and my ride is better than stock 20's.
i find that hard to believe but to each their own. i had 21" oem wheels and adaptive suspension and did not have any complaints however my wife did not care for the ride in dynamic. i could not imagine any woman who is not numb to suspension "mods" not having issue with the ride of 22" wheels on coils.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't mean to offend you but you're incorrect.

The KW comfort is less than 2k and installation is not difficult. I bought mine from works concepts for 1650 shipped to my door. I suppose you could if you wanted to spend the extra on V3 but the comfort uses the same shock body as the V3 with separate reservoirs and independent rebound and compression. After speaking with KW tech's they could not explain why they used the same shock or why the V3 was so much more expensive.

You can find it hard to believe all you want but everyone who has ridden in my car is stunned at the ride. Q7 stock stuff is very firm. They probably did this in anticipation of towing load. The advantage with the comfort is the ability to preload spring and adjust compression rebound depending on the load. If you chose to tow, you can simply adjust the rear coil to accommodate.

Anyone in Washington can absolutely come ride in my car and see for themselves. I was stunned at how much better it is, I thought I was running low pressure on my rear tires because it was so much better with the bumps. I confirmed I'm at 40psi all around.

To reiterate this car was built as a family rig. My wife drives it with 2 toddlers and a baby. Harsh ride was absolutely not an option. I was expecting to have to ratchet back the compression settings but they highly suggested I leave them at mid-range. The out of the box settings are butter smooth and stunningly it can get softer.

Last edited by nthusiastt; 08-10-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nthusiastt
I don't mean to offend you but you're incorrect.
no offense taken and if i am incorrect i apologize but i would love to ride in yours with 22" to see. i have only ridden in q7 with springs alone and with coil over on 21" oem wheels. the springs were awful, the kw were much firmer but i am not sure which version they were.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
no offense taken and if i am incorrect i apologize but i would love to ride in yours with 22" to see. i have only ridden in q7 with springs alone and with coil over on 21" oem wheels. the springs were awful, the kw were much firmer but i am not sure which version they were.
No problemo, I can't comment on the other setups you've ridden on. I've only ridden on stock spring/air and this setup. The KW Comfort is really something on the Q chassis. If you're ever up in the pac-northwest and you'd like a ride, come by anytime.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Went with the 22s...and she loves em! No ride issues, no handling issues, no scrubbing issues with dips or hard turns during parking etc. Appreciate the advice! Here are a couple reference pics ( Not as pretty after getting caught in a rain storm). Will be changing her grill and headlight assemblies out today. Does anyone have a link to do the headlights?

Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great. You should lower it an inch or two. What grill and headlights are you installing?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My husband put these on my Audi and I love them. I get a lot of compliments!
Attached Thumbnails Wife wants new wheels for 09' Q7...Help!-image.jpeg  
Old 09-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice. Classy and head turning! Pun intended. Nice pattern on those tires as well. Bet it does well in rough weather.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha Thank you! It does pretty good in tough weather, but we shall see how it does in snow this winter.