Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

WTB - Q7 Sport Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you import it you will save a HUGE amount with the current USD/CAD exchange rate. Since the vehicle wasn't built in the USA, Canada, or Mexico you will still have to pay a 2.5% import duty, and that's assuming Audi gives the "Ok" stating that it's similar to a USA model, which I'm sure they will. Is that $55k CAD? Or $55k USD?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by D3Audi
If you import it you will save a HUGE amount with the current USD/CAD exchange rate. Since the vehicle wasn't built in the USA, Canada, or Mexico you will still have to pay a 2.5% import duty, and that's assuming Audi gives the "Ok" stating that it's similar to a USA model, which I'm sure they will. Is that $55k CAD? Or $55k USD?
Having imported and exported about 6 cars between the US and Canada, I've got some 1st hand familiarity with the process and fees.

Sadly, the said vehicle was sold, here's the old listing: 2015 Audi Q7 SPORT ** Audi Certified * Black Optics Pkg * S line plus

The car was selling for $69K CAD, which worked out to $52K USD, and you would pay the 2.5% import duty, but as a returning U.S. resident, you may apply your $800 CBP exemption. Therefore, on $52K USD, instead of paying $1300 import duty, you'd pay $500. The one "gotcha" recently is that entire GST/PST rebates which were offered. The GST is exempt, but many dealers will require collection of PST (provincial sales tax) and you essentially get double taxed when you register here in the US. There are ways around this...but not as easy as they once were.

Heck, had it been $55 CAD, I would have bought it and not even thought twice, even though I'm not needing an SUV right now
Old 10-03-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Having imported and exported about 6 cars between the US and Canada, I've got some 1st hand familiarity with the process and fees.

Sadly, the said vehicle was sold, here's the old listing: 2015 Audi Q7 SPORT ** Audi Certified * Black Optics Pkg * S line plus

The car was selling for $69K CAD, which worked out to $52K USD, and you would pay the 2.5% import duty, but as a returning U.S. resident, you may apply your $800 CBP exemption. Therefore, on $52K USD, instead of paying $1300 import duty, you'd pay $500. The one "gotcha" recently is that entire GST/PST rebates which were offered. The GST is exempt, but many dealers will require collection of PST (provincial sales tax) and you essentially get double taxed when you register here in the US. There are ways around this...but not as easy as they once were.

Heck, had it been $55 CAD, I would have bought it and not even thought twice, even though I'm not needing an SUV right now

Very interesting. Great info!. I wonder what would happen if a USA citizen wanted to buy a used Canadian 2.0TDI VW or Q7 TDI... There was a TDI sport plus for sale in Montréal, I wonder if customs would even let it in considering people who ordered TDIs are still waiting on their vehicles to enter the country. hmmmm