Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Active lane assist issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Active lane assist issues

Since I got my Q7 back in Feb (5000 miles) I've left the active lane assist on. But I've decided it's not ready for suburban streets with a 40 or 45 mph speed limit. It tends to make too many small unnecessary adjustments and interferes with driving on these streets. The Early/Late setting does little to change this behavior.

So from now on, the active lane assist will only be on when I'm using adaptive cruse control.

YMMV.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update: Even since the programming update was applied the lane assist has become unusable. Even driving on a straight stretch of highway with light traffic, it jerks the wheel back and forth, IMHO a dangerous situation. Off to the shop for this one!

What is your experience with lane assist?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like this feature likes to look at where the lines are and drift side to side...I guess to make sure the lane markers are still there. It might be because it wants to always make sure you have "control" of the wheel but it certainly seems like you are fighting the car all the time.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took the Tysons Audi service manager for a ride and he saw the behavior too. It goes in the shop Wednesday.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only say we tried traffic jam assist on the highway and it sat dead center in its lane for about a mile before it either lost lane markings and or the traffic cleared before it told me to take the wheel. The system was making mild adjustments with nothing radical or ping ponging in the lane. There are videos on YouTube of someone driving an A4 (I believe) and it is working solid. Sounds like you're Q7 is having issues.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No issues here. One the road trip and trailering my A6, lane assist worded perfectly. The real test of the traffic congestion assistant was when we hit the Atlanta rush hour traffic and performed as designed.

I did notice that on some roads that have been repaired with thin strips of sealant down the side that the system wants to track those occasionally, but nothing grossly uneasy as you are describing.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand why it asks for steering input, even when I clearly had hands on the wheel. I think holding it, like in a Tesla, should be sufficient.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I see the use of the word "ping pong" seems like it goes quickly back and forth...it does not do this quickly however it does want to find one side and then find the other side of the lanes for me, especially when I first release the wheel. However even with this clarification it seems like the majority of others are not experiencing this.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I literally just turned this feature on today after taking delivery yesterday, but I can understand what the original poster is writing.

I think it may be a function of the roads one travels rather than the particular vehicle? I had the vehicle on the highway and it seemed a bit **** in my opinion. I wasn't drifting in the lane much and yet the car seemed determined to try and retain a "perfect center" position almost within the lane.

It didn't bother me; rather, I sort of sat there in amazement, but I can see how this might grow a bit old if one drives quite a bit.

I guess I'll report back after I've got more miles under my belt.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Works perfectly for me on normal highways even if it is a 1 lane highway. That's typically the only place I use it.

Quick Reply: Active lane assist issues