Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Adaptive Air Suspension v/s Sport Adaptive Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Air Suspension v/s Sport Adaptive Air Suspension

First post! Hello to all, glad to join this forum

Am in the process of acquiring a 2016 Q7 and as such going through the headache of choosing the right configuration. Can some of you maybe share some of your insights or experience when it comes to the Adaptive air suspension?

Is the Sport version really as compliant as the regular Adaptive air suspension when set on soft?

Thanks for your input
Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Amazing forum
On any Porsche forum would have gotten about 3 pages of replies by now!
Clearly owners are less passionate about their audis lol
Old 09-16-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry I don't own a Q7, but I am interested in the new Q7 and want to road test.

I think this Standard vs Sport Adaptive Suspension is a new option. I don't believe both options are currently available on other existing Audi's. I just reviewed the brochure for the new B9 A4 brochure (audi.co.uk site) and see both these adaptive suspensions are options. Hopefully they will be offered in the US models.

Good luck with your quest. Are you in the US? Might want to check a UK or DE enthusiast site.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

In case it helps, there is a lot of info on the uk website including a brochure download.

Audi Q7 Legend
Old 10-26-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a q7 with the air susp and i will not buy one without it. It completely changes how the car drives. Its a much nicer drive and the handling is way better. I test drove a some without and there is a night and day difference. I am looking at the '16 and will be an option i must have.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iNfiNkC
I have a q7 with the air susp and i will not buy one without it. It completely changes how the car drives. Its a much nicer drive and the handling is way better. I test drove a some without and there is a night and day difference. I am looking at the '16 and will be an option i must have.
I have a 2012 Q7 with 19" wheels without adaptive air and think it drives fine (we love it and will keep it). I'm looking to purchase a 2017 Q7 with 20" wheels. We test drove a 2015 Q7 sport edition with 21" wheels and sport adaptive air, and that seemed too stiff/bumpy, even in comfort mode. Adaptive air is of interest to me to make the ride even smoother when riding with the family and a bit sportier when by myself. Does your Q7 have sport or non-sport adaptive air? Does that make a big difference? What tire size do you have? Just trying to gauge if it's a must-have or nice-to-have. Won't be cheap since it is only available with 4-wheel steering (which btw an article in a very reputable German newspaper Aktuelle Nachrichten online - FAZ.NET raved about).
Old 10-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had an '11 w/o Adaptive Air and 19's, traded it in for a '14 and got the air suspension with 21's. In comfort mode it makes the 21's feel great. Better than the 19's w/o air. I tried 21's on standard suspension and it was rough. There is a little more tire wear on the edges as it goes up/down and changes the alignment geometry. Just have them set the alignment on whatever height you plan to drive it the most.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

In the US there is not a "sport adaptive air suspension" option and there never has been. The 2015 sport edition Q7 has Audi adaptive air suspension, it's the same air suspension as the all other 2015 Q7 models with this option. The 2017 doesn't have the sport option either. So if you are in the US it really doesn't matter what the difference is, because there isn't a choice. This may change someday, but for now we get Audi adaptive air suspension or steel springs with non adaptive dampers (neither is intended to be all that sporty).
Old 11-01-2015, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It seems that the sport adaptative suspension is essentially 30mm lower than the standard adaptative suspension.

The différence seems to be on the shock preload, wich is mostly dependant on the spring you use. The hydraulic laws concern mainly the way the car move on it weels, the way it stay flat on brakes and the cornering possibilities.

With a air suspension system, the spring is the air tube, that mean the lower you are, the harder it is.

That mean the confort mode for the sport adaptative should be around the sport mode for the classic adaptative.

You can also re-code a standard adaptative to a sport adaptative easily with a carport and ODB2 software.

Mine is a 2008 3.6FSI with adaptative air suspension and 20' rims.
Smooth ride on highway, a little bit bumpy at low speed on paved street (old european downtown's streets !), but that's ok.

I wont go on sport adaptative suspension, because it should be too firm for us as a family car.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all for the input!

Quick Reply: Adaptive Air Suspension v/s Sport Adaptive Air Suspension