Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Adaptive Cruise Control Issue and Auto emergency braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control Issue and Auto emergency braking

On 2 separate occasions I had the ACC set at 40 MPH and the #3 distance. Although there was no traffic i did have the traffic assistance activated.

There were no cars immediately in front of me. I wanted to see how it would work going the 40 mph and approaching a car already stopped at a red light.

One , the car didn't slow down at all and when approaching the stopped car . When I was about 3 car lengths from the stopped car I ended up jamming on the brakes because I really thought my Q wouldn't stop.

Is the traffic assist "lane departure" used only when in traffic? Does the car have "automatic lane departure warnings" separate from the lane assist?

And because even with all I read about automatic emergency braking (I don't fully "get it" ) let me ask this question...when driving my Q7 under 60 mph and I , for whatever reason don't react, start to come upon a slower moving vehicle or stopped vehicle or a large object , like a bridge abutment, will the car stop with ACC and w/o ACC activated?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

ACC typically will not stop for a car that has been stationary. It will come to a complete stop when there is a car to follow.

Pre Sense City will react to stationary cars, but will only slow the vehicle by up to 25 MPH, so in your case, the car would not have stopped but might have slowed you down to 15 MPH. Pre Sense City will also work for pedestrians and moving vehicles. You have to be going between 6 and 52 MPH for it to be active. It will not work for stationary objects.

Also, with ACC, you can tell when it is following a car or not. In front of the green car symbol with lines in front of it, a second car will appear when one has been found. When you don't see that second car, it means the ACC has no car to react to.

Lane assist works above 40 MPH, and you know it is active when the lane assist markers light up green. The steering wheel should vibrate if you go to leave the lane, but that is rare because the system should be keeping you in it. In traffic jam assist mode (when the 3 car symbol appears next to the ACC symbol), the car is following the traffic in front of you rather than the lane lines.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So in it's purist form and unlike the adds for the new NISSAN the 2017Q7 does not have "automatic emergency braking".
Really unhappy with this. I asked the question when buying and got a different answer.

Will have to figure out what I want to do. Is it possible to change the computer to allow it?
Old 11-05-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GBMILTON
So in it's purist form and unlike the adds for the new NISSAN the 2017Q7 does not have "automatic emergency braking".
Really unhappy with this. I asked the question when buying and got a different answer.

Will have to figure out what I want to do. Is it possible to change the computer to allow it?
Pre Sense City is automatic emergency braking.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi's response to what pre sense actually does is absolutely confusing, perhaps purposely so to hide its shortcomings.

While I love my Q7, this is one (very vital safety feature) that I'm not at all pleased with.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I find it somewhat confusing as well. It seems like the $28k Subaru Legacy I'm trading in can do more in this area (though of course less in others).

That said, if there is brake actuation hardware in place, you would think this could be at least partially improved by software. I would be willing pay annually for software upgrades that enable new features (a la Tesla).
Old 11-05-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

So long as the car is tracking a moving vehicle that stops, braking guard will engage and stop your vehicle.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't find the system confusing and SYMAWD has summarised how it operates very well.

I think the key point is that they are driver 'assist' features and not claiming to be autopilot. In many scenarios it would avoid a silly slow speed crash or significantly lessen the severity of a higher speed crash.

I think Tesla is great in the way they are driving the adoption of electric cars and over the air updates, but I think they are pushing the boundaries of autopilots capabilities - the split with mobileye and the German government asking them to stop using the term autopilot would seem to back this up.

Personally, I prefer Audi's conservative approach .
Old 11-05-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll read the manual in more detail when I take delivery in a few weeks.

Agree on Tesla re autopilot, but I think the concept of putting all the necessary hardware on board and having the ability to push software updates (even via dealer) is a net positive for everyone. May cannibalize some new car sales, but an annual subscription would have significantly higher margin and may cushion the blow.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

SYMAWD has described it very well. I have almost 8000 miles on my Q7 and it works very well as far as I am concerned. If you are following a vehicle with ACC on (as noted by the symbol indicating that the sensors have seen the car ahead) and the vehicle ahead slows down, the car will slow itself down accordingly even to a complete stop to keep from hitting the car ahead. If driving without the ACC on and the car ahead slows down suddenly I have had the PreSense come on to alert me. If no action is taken it will slam on the brakes.

I don't really see anything to complain about so far. Will it stop an accident if you drive directly into a stationary object at high speed? Probably not but the PreSense should slam on the brakes to at least make the accident less damaging. It is driver assist, not self-driving. But personally I couldn't be happier with my Q7.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control Issue and Auto emergency braking