Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

bang and olufsen Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bang and olufsen Impressions

All of those who have a car with/experienced the B&O... I wanted to get your impressions on things especially vs the Bose system.

I know the costs etc so no need to worry about that. I'm trying to decide the true quality value of the audio experience and it doesn't seem as if there is that much information available.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjolly
All of those who have a car with/experienced the B&O... I wanted to get your impressions on things especially vs the Bose system.

I know the costs etc so no need to worry about that. I'm trying to decide the true quality value of the audio experience and it doesn't seem as if there is that much information available.

Thanks in advance.
So I just picked up my Q7. I have experienced both the B&O and the Bose. I decided that the Bose was fine and that the B&O was not worth the $5K extra, but others might not.

In all honesty, the B&O was very impressive, but but Bose was pretty good to my ears and if you have kids in your car, then you are not going to really be able to crank it up anyway. But seriously, the Bose sounds good compared to the vast majority of higher end car stock audio systems. To me there was no way to justify the extra $5K unless it meant getting the car I wanted much sooner. Luckily, we found a great car with our spec that did not have the B&O. However, if you are someone who really (and I mean really) values sound, the B&O would be a must have. It was so clear and sounded fantastic. But my suspicion is that the Bose will provide a good solution for well over 90% of buyers. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WesQ7
So I just picked up my Q7. I have experienced both the B&O and the Bose. I decided that the Bose was fine and that the B&O was not worth the $5K extra, but others might not.

In all honesty, the B&O was very impressive, but but Bose was pretty good to my ears and if you have kids in your car, then you are not going to really be able to crank it up anyway. But seriously, the Bose sounds good compared to the vast majority of higher end car stock audio systems. To me there was no way to justify the extra $5K unless it meant getting the car I wanted much sooner. Luckily, we found a great car with our spec that did not have the B&O. However, if you are someone who really (and I mean really) values sound, the B&O would be a must have. It was so clear and sounded fantastic. But my suspicion is that the Bose will provide a good solution for well over 90% of buyers. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
I agree with this. I have the Bose system and think for most cars this would be the highest end system. No doubtthe B&O is better. However, if you were asking the question then you obviously are considering what you really want to spend your money on. If that is the case, then sound probably is not so important to you that you have to have the highest end system. I can't imagine anyone listening to the Bose system and thinking it is horrible.

Are there other options that you are considering dropping so that you can pay for the B&O?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I have had 3 other Audi's with Bose and this is the first time I got the B&O, not because I HAD to have it, but it was what was installed in the car.

Honestly, I think it's significantly better than the Bose. That statement coming from someone who has crappy hearing and wears hearing aids...but it is better sounding - for me.

I previously owned a BMW and MB, both with Harmon Karden. IMO, that system sounded light years better than the B&O. But it's all very subjective; what sounds great to one, sounds mediocre to someone else.

I doubt you would be disappointed with Bose unless you are a purist. If you are, get the standard radio then figure out how to trick it out with another brand if that's what is important to you.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well. I'm not really considering dropping anything instead of this -- just whether or not I want to add it to the car I'm looking to spec out.

The problem with this system seems to be that there aren't a ton that are floating around yet and the dealers aren't ordering them this way (for obvious reason) so that I can listen to one.

I can't say that I'm a true audiophile... but I certainly enjoy good sound. My previous Range Rover had a great sound system and the bose in the new Q7 (drove one Tuesday) and my wife's Volvo are nice....but they don't seem to stack up to what was in the Range and I'm afraid the bose may leave me wanting. It was nice when I drove the car... but I definitely wasn't blown away or anything.

Originally Posted by baltfan
I agree with this. I have the Bose system and think for most cars this would be the highest end system. No doubtthe B&O is better. However, if you were asking the question then you obviously are considering what you really want to spend your money on. If that is the case, then sound probably is not so important to you that you have to have the highest end system. I can't imagine anyone listening to the Bose system and thinking it is horrible.

Are there other options that you are considering dropping so that you can pay for the B&O?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well. I'm not really considering dropping anything instead of this -- just whether or not I want to add it to the car I'm looking to spec out.

The problem with this system seems to be that there aren't a ton that are floating around yet and the dealers aren't ordering them this way (for obvious reason) so that I can listen to one.

I can't say that I'm a true audiophile... but I certainly enjoy good sound. My previous Range Rover had a great sound system and the bose in the new Q7 (drove one Tuesday) and my wife's Volvo are nice....but they don't seem to stack up to what was in the Range and I'm afraid the bose may leave me wanting. It was nice when I drove the car... but I definitely wasn't blown away or anything.
If you think you may be left wanting, then I would go for it. That is something you have to live with every day. You don't want to regret it. It is probably a bit overpriced, but I know I would have bought it if I thought I would be annoyed by the other system.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah. That's what I thought too -- so I went for it. I'm like you -- I know it's not worth the money probably.... but I would rather spend a little too much than regret not spending it for the next 5-7 years!

Originally Posted by baltfan
If you think you may be left wanting, then I would go for it. That is something you have to live with every day. You don't want to regret it. It is probably a bit overpriced, but I know I would have bought it if I thought I would be annoyed by the other system.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

My '13 S8 has the B & O. It is only option we left off my wife's Q7. B & O is terrific, but I think you would have to be an audiophile to enjoy the difference for the $5500 premium.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Bose and believe myself to be an audiophile. On the Bose system I think it sounds OK however could sound much better with the ability to EQ it a bit. As it comes it is a bit over processed. I really wanted to get the B&O but just could not justify the price after listening to it. If it was a 2-3K option that would have been worth it.

Just my opinion
Old 03-04-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Q5 had B&O, my first Q7 had bose, and now my '17 Q7 has B&O. I drove Q7s with both bose and B&O and even though I don't have a sophisticated ear, I could definitely tell a difference...so I went with the B&O.

Quick Reply: bang and olufsen Impressions