Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Brakes noise - new Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes noise - new Q7

Picked up my 2017 Q7 two days ago. Brakes squeek when's slowly coming to a stop. Should note that the temp here is in the 20's so maybe that has something to do with it? Or do they just need to be "broken in" more? Any thoughts / experience welcome. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JZK26
Picked up my 2017 Q7 two days ago. Brakes squeek when's slowly coming to a stop. Should note that the temp here is in the 20's so maybe that has something to do with it? Or do they just need to be "broken in" more? Any thoughts / experience welcome. Thanks.
If haven't driven for a couple of days get some squeal for a minute. After that no issues.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

New discs and pads need to be bedded in. If you want to do this quickly, just find some open road and do a set of 3-4 70-30 mph hard braking exercises with a few hundred yards in between. If there is salt on the roads, it could also have gotten in between your pads and discs, so you may just need to "clean" them with 1-2 hard braking exercises periodically. If that doesn't fix it, you should ask the dealer to look at them to ensure a shim wasn't left out at the factory.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys. Good to know it's not a unique condition to my car. After driving a bit the noise went away. If this keeps recurring will ask dealer to have a look.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago car's were run in for their engines. When engine technology moved on, other friction materials such brake pads and discs and tyres got forgotten about. To maximise component life and performance you should take it easy for the first 100-200 miles, maybe a little more.
However you may still get squeaky brakes, the pads don't have asbestos in them these days which causes them to make more noise.
Take it easy, turn the radio up and enjoy your new car.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dghdgh
Years ago car's were run in for their engines. When engine technology moved on, other friction materials such brake pads and discs and tyres got forgotten about. To maximise component life and performance you should take it easy for the first 100-200 miles, maybe a little more.
However you may still get squeaky brakes, the pads don't have asbestos in them these days which causes them to make more noise.
Take it easy, turn the radio up and enjoy your new car.
Thanks dghdgh. Love your response
Old 02-14-2016, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

All of my Audis have had some degree of squeaky brakes when it's under 20 degrees outside.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not my brakes that squeak when its under 20 degrees outside.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 2013 Q3 that has the squeaking noise when "light brake" brought it into Stevens Creek Audi here is San Jose and they performed the"hard brake" but the noise is still there. I did performed couple of "hard brake" like the adviser asked but it only fixed for day or two then the noise is back. I called Audicare and the created the case and they get intouch with the dealer. Today, I got a call from the director of the service department and was told that Audi is working on the new brake pad that will fix the noise and the ETA Audi gives him is June. So, the dealer will call me back in June since I told them that I can put up with thr noise for another 3 months if there is a permanent fix for the issue. Will have to wait and see. Btw, I have less than 25k Miles on the car.

Last edited by thanhkng; 02-19-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Noise in brakes

I have been told by my service rep that the load noise in my 2017 q-7 is a problem the Audi is working on. When we this be solved?

Quick Reply: Brakes noise - new Q7