Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Can someone tell me again why the 2017 Q7 quattro system is better...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can someone tell me again why the 2017 Q7 quattro system is better...

than the quattro system on our old 2007 Q7? Months ago someone posted the technical reason the new Q7 quattro is better but I can't find it.

I was really disappointed with the quattro system on our 2007 Q7. Our A4 avant could run circles around it in snow. (Both vehicles had Nokian winter tires) The Q7 ESP was just too intrusive, and you couldn't completely shut it off. And offroad in sand was a complete disaster. Because you couldn't totally shut off the ESP, it would try to brake any spinning wheel, preventing you from gaining momentum in sand. Then as you bogged down, it would sense the brakes overheating and cut all power to the wheels. We only took it to he beach once when we had a family visiting and couldn't fit everyone in our old LR3. Never again.

We don't plan on taking the new Q7 on the beach either, we have an LR4, which is amazing offroad that will keep that job. But I am concerned about weekend ski trips in the new Q7. With all the technology that Audi put in the new Q7, why not "snow mode"? We have driven our LR4 through horrible blizzards and putting it in snow mode makes a huge difference. It starts in second gear and revs stay low to maintain traction. The ABS feels more alert and brakes individual wheels to match steering input and keep you going where you aim. Truly confidence inspiring in dangerous winter conditions. Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer even copied the Land Rover system with different modes for different conditions. (I know, Ford owned Land Rover when the terrain response technology was introduced on the 2005 LR3)
Old 09-01-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nevermind, I finally found it...thanks to superswiss for posting this earlier:

"Yeah, very different Quattro system in the new Q7. The old Q7 used the torsen center differential which needs the help of the ESP on low traction surfaces. The new Q7 has a self-locking center differential and can direct 85% of the torque to the rear and 70% to the front without ESP intervention, so you no longer have the brakes overheating issue. This new generation Quattro system was first introduced with the RS5 and I can tell you that the dynamics are quite different from the old torsen based system. Many people don't want to believe this, but the self-locking center diff is a major improvement."
Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
Nevermind, I finally found it...thanks to superswiss for posting this earlier:

"Yeah, very different Quattro system in the new Q7. The old Q7 used the torsen center differential which needs the help of the ESP on low traction surfaces. The new Q7 has a self-locking center differential and can direct 85% of the torque to the rear and 70% to the front without ESP intervention, so you no longer have the brakes overheating issue. This new generation Quattro system was first introduced with the RS5 and I can tell you that the dynamics are quite different from the old torsen based system. Many people don't want to believe this, but the self-locking center diff is a major improvement."
Good info!....but then again, I think it will eventually be going to the new Haldex system. "They" say it's a better system.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
Good info!....but then again, I think it will eventually be going to the new Haldex system. "They" say it's a better system.
Ultra is not Haldex.