Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

"Car Stealing Mystery Device"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default "Car Stealing Mystery Device"

Interesting demonstration of the device currently being used to open and/or start your car. Shows a $15,000 bicycle being stolen from a Q5 that was opened with the device.
Car-stealing 'mystery device' uncovered | Fox News
Old 12-08-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to see receipts for that $15k bicycle... Sounds like insurance fraud to me and yes I know they exist but coming from the cycling world unless it is a Vanilla Workshop or Moots custom build it is highly unlikely. Hell my top of the line TT bike was $12k and that was seriously kitted out.

Last edited by PeteDin206; 12-09-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed with PeteDin. I'm an avid cyclist myself and the price point tends to stop at $12k.

Ever since I've own cars with the keyless unlock/lock fob, I rarely push the buttons on it. The moment I exit the car, I would lock it right away using the door handle. I'm always afraid someone would have a scanner nearby sniffing for codes.

I've also used the lock/unlock feature on my Q7 with MMI app on my iphone and boy, let me tell you, it's a complicated thing. First you have to sign in with your account and password. Once you are connected to your car, you can see the status of it. I then go to unlock/lock the car and it asks for a 4 digit passcode. After it confirms the passcode, the MMI takes its time to unlock/lock the car. It takes about 60 seconds. It was frustrating standing next to my car waiting for it to unlock.

Needless to say, if the device is able to bypass the security protocol, then a lot more cars would be reported be stolen by now.