Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Color confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color confusion

Hi all, there are a few gray 2017 q7s in my area... they all look a bit kind of dull and the gray isn't very deep. And on the audi website builder the graphite gray metallic looks even kind of brown. Which I've kind of observed when I see them in the wild. Here's an example:

I don't care for that color.

But then I see one that has the gray that I really like, but it's also called graphite gray metallic:

Are these seriously the same color? One looks brown/gray, the other blue/gray. What gives?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always tricky to be sure from a picture, but I think the picture below is correct. It doesn't look brown like the configurator in the flesh. I went for Daytona Grey and when mine was parked next to a Graphite Grey, the Daytona really just looked a slightly darker shade - certainly not brown!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

All of the colors (at least those available in the US) are a bit boring.

I went with graphite gray after seeing it in person. Might have gone with Florett Silver, but my current car is silver and wanted a change. I think it's a nice color and having looked at it several times in different light, think it is much closer to the picture you posted rather than the Audi configurator. Also, many of the pictures on both the Audi website and their USA brochure are in graphite gray. Someone at Audi must think the color looks good.

I do, however, think everything from graphite grey and lighter benefits from the Black Optics package whereas the darker colors look better with the aluminum trim. Trim pieces look best with a contrast.

Like everything just an opinion.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The top picture doesn't seem accurate, almost looks like a beige. The bottom is definitely more accurate. Also depending on region color availability is different (Canada gets Daytona grey and US does not)
Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You shouldn't rely on the configurator, god knows what they are smoking there. The actual pic reflects the true color, and its actually pretty nice. I think the ink blue is the only better color (imho). In the US, that's the only grey we get
Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Graphite Gray looks quite nice on the MKii. When we bought our 2014 Q7, we had three grays to choose from, between Graphite, Lava and Daytona. I wanted Daytona, my wife preferred the Lava. Neither of us liked the Graphite, but it looked very different on the old body style. The Lava Gray actually has some brown sparkle when in the sun. I'm sure they'll add another gray option for the 2018 (or 2019) release.

I do love my Ink Blue, but Graphite would've been our next choice especially if we weren't coming from a Gray 2014...wanted a change.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FairwellQ7TDI
I do love my Ink Blue, but Graphite would've been our next choice especially if we weren't coming from a Gray 2014...wanted a change.
Yup, we are in the same boat coming off a sparkling graphite gray w beige interior bmw. so ordered Ink Blue, if not we would have went with graphite q7.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, so here's where the confusion comes in... this car, while called graphite grey, really looks like the daytona grey to me:
Daytona?

This one also says graphite grey but looks like what I see around town:
Grey?

Maybe it's just the pictures. I guess the reason I'm hung up on it is that there is a grey that I really like and it's not generally what I see on the q7's. Saw it on a new Q3 though. It was a much more silver/grey and looked spectacular.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

On any 2017 Q7 there is only one grey. Its all lighting. Also, just because you see a grey on a Q3 deosn't mean its the same grey for the Q7. Every model has different choices
Old 03-30-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea, when I was at the Audi dealership, they only had the graphite grey on one of their loaner Q7. They had a Daytona grey on a sedan and it was definitely darker.

In the sunlight, the graphite grey came close to looking like silver, and in the shade (it was a partially cloudy day, so got to see it in cloud and sun) it looked darker.

Nothing like the configurator pic, and similar to the picture below it in the first post, but my recollection and it's been 2.5 months was that in direct sunlight with the metallic tint, it looked a bit more silver.

That said, that was mid January. I decided to go with the graphite grey. For me, it was deciding between the silver and the grey and I opted for the grey (sitting at port in Jacksonville).

Quick Reply: Color confusion