Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

get a 16 or 15 Q7.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default get a 16 or 15 Q7.

The wife wants a SUV and this will be our fist Audi have had too many VW in my past so we want an nice upgrade. We drove a 15 TDI and loved it.... but with the 16 so close and we have cars to drive the push for new wheels isn't a requirement just a nice upgrade.... She likes the 15 so I'm partial to just find a 15 we like color wise and drive it... but the new bells and whistles... not to mention 25% fuel effeciance upgrade ... makes me go .. ah...... maybe I want a 16.

mechanically I think maybe a last year model should be good as the bugs are worked out, VS all new.

Opinions?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi! I started looking for my wife's replacement car a little bit more than a year ago. I had my eye set on Q7. It was right around the time the rumor (then turned reality) saying new Q7 was going to delay for another year. I was going to pull the trigger for a 2014 Q7 (then considered the last model year). But, sources from Germany confirmed the delay. Then I waited for 9 months and placed an order for a 2015 Q7.
I think you are going through the same debate as I a year ago. From what I can see, basically, 1st-gen Q7 and 2nd-gen Q7 are completely two different cars. 2nd-gen is just not an upgrade from 1st-gen. The new one is designed to cater urban utility (one can argue that the 1st is the same). However, just look at the 2016 Q7 marketing material. There is no image in offroad situation. I am not saying 1st-gen Q7 was designed for offroad but the added weight may be partially related to some requirements.
2nd-gen not only tries to attract urban users but also has to conform to stricter fuel efficiency standard globally. Reducing weight will help. Another major difference between the two is to support more SUVs in VAG family. 1st-gen shares platform with Porsche and VW. Now 2nd-gen will share the platform with Bentley (confirmed) and maybe others (unconfirmed). The more brands the platform has to share, the more difficult it becomes. The more challenge the product teams will face. So, regarding how 2nd-gen Q7 will fare, it is still unknown.
If you always want the latest technology and the thrill of new stuff outweighs predictability, 2nd-gen would be your choice. If you like predictability and you don't mind fuel efficiency, 1st-gen would you a better bet. For me, 2nd-gen's exterior (spyshots) was also a factor pushing me to order a 2015 Q7. You cannot go wrong with either I assume. They are just two very different vehicles sharing the same name. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been waiting for the new Q7 to decide this very same issue. For me the new Q7 is way ugly compared to the 1st Gen. I agree with the first reply that the 1st and 2nd Gen are really not the same car. To me the 2nd Gen is more similar to an All Road than a Q7, but a very ugly All Road at that. With the new Q7 you get a lowered more sedan, All Road look with better fuel economy, much lighter, re-worked seating with new bells and whistles in the cockpit. Audi claims that its bigger inside. Based on the reported dimensions its seems negligibly bigger in the seating area, but to me they totally screwed it up in the cargo area. Apparently the new Q7 can be had in a 5 seat or a 7 seat arrangement. With 7 seats you get 10.4 Cu Ft behind the seats all up compared to 10.9 in the 1st Gen. With the new Q7 7 seats 3rd row folded you only get 27.2 Cu Ft compared to 42.0 in the 1st Gen. With the 5 seat arrangement you get 31.4 Cu Ft compared to the 42.0 in the 1st Gen. With everything folded you get 73.3 Cu Ft compared to 72.5 in the 1st Gen. To me the 1st Gen seems to win hands down here. The other issue for me is a bike won't fit upright in the back because the cargo load area is too low. Its just not the same car and I'm not sure why they would even badge it a Q7. I would look at it from that point of view, that its two totally different cars and decide which one fits you best. For me I am ordering a 2015.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 2007 Q7, and want to replace it. Although it is still a dream to drive, the interior has been beaten up by my dogs, and it has some significant miles on it. I considered getting a 2015, but the current Q7 technology really is behind what the other manufacturers are offering. I don't want to wait until next year, but after looking at what the 2016 offers, I have decided to wait.

Regarding the looks, I have never considered my Q7 to be an attractive car. I think the 2016 design is a vast improvement (although the early PR photos of the candy blue color are pretty horrific). FWIW, most enthusiast abhor design changes when their favored car models are updated. That is certainly a factor here IMO.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anybody know the prices of the 2016 Q7's compare to 2015?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Why smaller volume with 3rd row folded?

I wonder what accounts for the volume reduction when the 3rd row seats are folded. 42 Cu Ft down to 27.2 Cu Ft is a large reduction and makes it even smaller than the stated 29 Cu Ft that my Q5 has behind the 2nd row. Are the 2nd row seats back farther, or is the height reduced a lot or ...?

Originally Posted by davidbod
I've been waiting for the new Q7 to decide this very same issue. For me the new Q7 is way ugly compared to the 1st Gen. I agree with the first reply that the 1st and 2nd Gen are really not the same car. To me the 2nd Gen is more similar to an All Road than a Q7, but a very ugly All Road at that. With the new Q7 you get a lowered more sedan, All Road look with better fuel economy, much lighter, re-worked seating with new bells and whistles in the cockpit. Audi claims that its bigger inside. Based on the reported dimensions its seems negligibly bigger in the seating area, but to me they totally screwed it up in the cargo area. Apparently the new Q7 can be had in a 5 seat or a 7 seat arrangement. With 7 seats you get 10.4 Cu Ft behind the seats all up compared to 10.9 in the 1st Gen. With the new Q7 7 seats 3rd row folded you only get 27.2 Cu Ft compared to 42.0 in the 1st Gen. With the 5 seat arrangement you get 31.4 Cu Ft compared to the 42.0 in the 1st Gen. With everything folded you get 73.3 Cu Ft compared to 72.5 in the 1st Gen. To me the 1st Gen seems to win hands down here. The other issue for me is a bike won't fit upright in the back because the cargo load area is too low. Its just not the same car and I'm not sure why they would even badge it a Q7. I would look at it from that point of view, that its two totally different cars and decide which one fits you best. For me I am ordering a 2015.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure, probably a combination of things causing the loss of cargo space. Exactly my point as well, in either configuration 27.2 or 31.4 Cu Ft behind the second row is more like the 29 Cu Ft of a Q5 than the 42 Cu Ft of the 1st Gen Q7. Is it a Q5, a Q7 or maybe a Q6???. I guess we do have the Q8 coming and maybe that's part of the overall design philosophy going forward. Makes me wonder what the redesigned Q5 is going to look like.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by larrycr
I wonder what accounts for the volume reduction when the 3rd row seats are folded. 42 Cu Ft down to 27.2 Cu Ft is a large reduction and makes it even smaller than the stated 29 Cu Ft that my Q5 has behind the 2nd row. Are the 2nd row seats back farther, or is the height reduced a lot or ...?
longer wheel base shorter body length. overall the vehicle is smaller than current q7 but has more interior legroom.

from my pov it appears audi took a subaru outback approach to the new q7. they started with a wagon then raised it up. the current design is very similar to the R-Class MB which was more of a Mini-Van in disguise because of the doors but now the Q7 looks like a station wagon / avant on stilts.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davidbod
Where are those cargo dimension numbers coming from? I can not find the technical specs for this vehicle anywhere but the dimensions with 3rd row folded do not make sense, especially when the other 2 cargo capacities are quite similar to the current model.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Will the 2016 Q7 be built in Germany or Mexico?
If it is Mexico i will surely pass on it.
BTW I am shocked at the mpg specs on the Q7 TDI - 41mpg. That is freakin awesome!!

Quick Reply: get a 16 or 15 Q7.