Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Glare from the Heads Up Display - 2017 Q7

Old 03-02-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baltfan
I took a long trip today. When heading back east in the afternoon this was very noticeable. The most frustrating thing is that it seems preventable. The black plastic which is part of the housing of the HUD is what causes the glare, not the actual screen itself. If they made it out of some material that didn't reflect so much, this wouldn't be an issue. I actually was able to put a tie over the place that was causing a glare without interfering with the HUD.

CJCAudi, have you gotten any feedback from Audi or the dealer.
My dealer has recognized the problem but will not fix it. Audi corporate was apparently called on the issue and they and my dealer informed me that there is "no issue for repair", even though my sales guy and all of the shop foremans see and acknowledge that there is a glare. Luckily I have a great sales guy and he and I came up with a solution to adhere black felt to the housing around the screen. I don't know if this will work but I will let you know. The dealer has offered to take my car back (no shocker since they can't keep any on the lot because they sell them so fast). I am considering it, especially if this rigged up felt solution doesn't work. What Audi should do is make a retrofitted housing that goes around the screen and install it for me. But I imagine that even if they do care that much, it would take time to design.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CJGAudi
My dealer has recognized the problem but will not fix it. Audi corporate was apparently called on the issue and they and my dealer informed me that there is "no issue for repair", even though my sales guy and all of the shop foremans see and acknowledge that there is a glare. Luckily I have a great sales guy and he and I came up with a solution to adhere black felt to the housing around the screen. I don't know if this will work but I will let you know. The dealer has offered to take my car back (no shocker since they can't keep any on the lot because they sell them so fast). I am considering it, especially if this rigged up felt solution doesn't work. What Audi should do is make a retrofitted housing that goes around the screen and install it for me. But I imagine that even if they do care that much, it would take time to design.
I find the glare that is higher up is the bigger problem. It is larger and also more in your field of view. The fleet should definitely fix that as simply putting my tie over the are solved the issue.

If you do get it dealt with, please post pics of your solution. I agree something that simply fits the housing would be the proper solution.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My problem

Managed to have a passenger snag some pics of my HUD glare today. Having to bring my car in for MMI issues so I will add this to their list.

Glare from the Heads Up Display - 2017 Q7-dd8hamz.jpg
Glare from the Heads Up Display - 2017 Q7-gdaxv1p.jpg
Glare from the Heads Up Display - 2017 Q7-rrfjcvj.jpg
Old 03-02-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ink17Q7
Managed to have a passenger snag some pics of my HUD glare today. Having to bring my car in for MMI issues so I will add this to their list.

Top pick is what I saw as well. The top part was by far the more intrusive part
Old 03-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
Top pick is what I saw as well. The top part was by far the more intrusive part
Yeah it definitely bugs me.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weird. I have had mine for a month now and have never experienced this. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pcaddict66
Weird. I have had mine for a month now and have never experienced this. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
For me it was fleeting usually and not a big deal. Yesterday was more annoying because I was driving for 50 miles in the exact same direction and was getting the glare consistently. I still would keep the HUD as I think there is a solution even if it is as simple was placing felt there or just temporarily covering a bit of the housing with something (as I said I used a tie).
Old 03-03-2016, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Is the form factor of the projector covering such that someone in the aftermarket could come up with some kind of non-glare cover that doesn't look bad and would be easily snapped in place by the owner?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Is the form factor of the projector covering such that someone in the aftermarket could come up with some kind of non-glare cover that doesn't look bad and would be easily snapped in place by the owner?
Definitely. It is just a square box. The biggest issue would be finding a way to ensure it didn't rattle around.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RickObe
That will only fix the glare on the top. The bright spot glare at the bottom is coming from the bottom edge of the glass from the screen. I am going to try to cover that up with some sort of felt as well. I will post pics as soon as it's sunny again to see if it worked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glare from the Heads Up Display - 2017 Q7