Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Night Vision FYI

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Night Vision FYI

We have this on the Q and on our S550 coupe. The Benzs' system is infrared and works very well no matter the temp...the Audi system uses a thermal imaging camera and will not pick up people/pets etc at any temp above 77' F. During the summer mos in some states (like ours) the system is mostly useless. If we would have known this prior to ordering we would not have chosen it.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJC 1
We have this on the Q and on our S550 coupe. The Benzs' system is infrared and works very well no matter the temp...the Audi system uses a thermal imaging camera and will not pick up people/pets etc at any temp above 77' F. During the summer mos in some states (like ours) the system is mostly useless. If we would have known this prior to ordering we would not have chosen it.
An option I debated on. $2500 saved. Good to know!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone else verify this?
the Audi system uses a thermal imaging camera and will not pick up people/pets etc at any temp above 77' F.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jmike52
the Audi system uses a thermal imaging camera and will not pick up people/pets etc at any temp above 77' F.
Yes, this seems to be the case. I don't know what the exact temp is but in general, during the warmer summer months, the night vision in the RS7 is next to useless. It just stops identifying pedestrians because the camera can't contrast against the also warm background. Based on this experience, I left out this option for our Q7. I asssumed it used basically the same camera and tech as the one in our RS7, and this thread comfirms that.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, just WOW. is this severe limitation noted at the time of sale? Is it listed in the manual? What good is this feature when for most folks it works for 4 months or less of the year? Glad I didn't get the Prestige trim.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I didn't get the Prestige trim.
It's an option on the Prestige
Old 07-30-2016, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

The Audi Night Vision Assistant video on My Audi says the system is infrared. It also lists situations that can hinder detection, and temperature is not one of them.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know.
We left out that option thermo or infrared wouldn't have mattered A) we usually don't go out at night - even though it would be cool to see some thermal images but sun fully sets after 9 pm.. I am usually in my pajamas. B) where we live there aren't suited for pedestrians to be walking around. I guess I could see some deer during fall/winter times - but again we aren't out and about.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, just WOW. is this severe limitation noted at the time of sale? Is it listed in the manual? What good is this feature when for most folks it works for 4 months or less of the year? Glad I didn't get the Prestige trim.
It's not part of the Prestige trim. Like B&O audio, the Night vision is a standalone option only available on Prestige trim cars. Prestige trim on its own is still one of the best value packages on this car, and you can still leave out night vision.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the system. I don't drive much in the dark in the summer so have not much night experience with it. But I can tell you I was sitting in a hot parking lot during the daytime with it on just for fun, and it popped up a warning when a pedestrian walked by on the sidewalk in front of us, about 200 feet away.

Quick Reply: Night Vision FYI