Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

4M Q7 long term H&R spring review

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4M Q7 long term H&R spring review

Hey Guys,

Just picked up a 2019 Prestige white with Black optics and the 22" V5 Wheels. We love this thing coming from a 2014 Q7 TDI S-line.
Question i have is with H&R being the only option out there, for everyone that has installed them and have some decent time on the springs what are your thoughts. I have run H&R on other vehicles before with hit and miss results so really qurious to see everyones thoughts.
How much have they settled over time, is the ride still good on the stock shocks/struts. Would love to add some B6 Bilsteins but good luck finding any of the Bilsteins in stock anywhere. Also how was the alignment and tire wear.
Any input would be apreciated thanks!!
Old 11-22-2022, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the springs on with 21" stock wheels.. not sure how stiff the 22" will feel but my 21" are not too bad

I have mine installed for about 2 years now.. and they are great.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Awsome thankyou for the info.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I have almost three years on mine, love them... I went with the largest tire option on Tsw Sebrings, 22x10.5 et20 w 305/35's.. I also tow with mine, so was a little concerned about settling, but they factor in the load rating in the design and even when loaded the sag is consistent with stock. Tire wear hasn't been an issue at all, and alignment was done outside of Audi dealer network since Audi of Marin wanted $1000 to do it, as I asked them to adjust the sensors and headlights when they do alignment, they also wanted $1000 to unclog my sunroof drains(which takes no more than 30min to do myself) and $1000 to add an extra key FOB, needless to say not going back there for my next car or service. So that is one thing to note, the headlights will project low until you adjust. The ride on 305 is even better than 20" runflats, by a lot, the 285 recommended size seems too low for that size and I'm sure if harsher with road vibration, not to mention rim ding risk where pot holes exist. The springs ride really nice in straight-line bumps, not harsh like some lowered set ups I've had on passenger cars, and the stock shocks handle the rate good enough(expected stiffer spring to overpower rebound damping rates) and the benefits in handling are profound. The roll and feel when cornering, dive under braking, squat when accelerating are improved immensely. Seriously changes the character of the car and driving experience, a real smile maker if you are a driver's driver. I tackled the install myself, not recommended unless you have all experience, all the power tools, and time. There are some really stubborn bolts in the uprights at the front upper A-arm that took a large % of the total time, also spring compressors are just sketchy, especially on large vehicle spring rates.

Link to see the looks of the wheels and offset here, also walk through other mods and tunes stuff I did.

Hope this helps add some insight, best o' luck!
Old 11-23-2022, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by djames22
I have almost three years on mine, love them... I went with the largest tire option on Tsw Sebrings, 22x10.5 et20 w 305/35's.. I also tow with mine, so was a little concerned about settling, but they factor in the load rating in the design and even when loaded the sag is consistent with stock. Tire wear hasn't been an issue at all, and alignment was done outside of Audi dealer network since Audi of Marin wanted $1000 to do it, as I asked them to adjust the sensors and headlights when they do alignment, they also wanted $1000 to unclog my sunroof drains(which takes no more than 30min to do myself) and $1000 to add an extra key FOB, needless to say not going back there for my next car or service. So that is one thing to note, the headlights will project low until you adjust. The ride on 305 is even better than 20" runflats, by a lot, the 285 recommended size seems too low for that size and I'm sure if harsher with road vibration, not to mention rim ding risk where pot holes exist. The springs ride really nice in straight-line bumps, not harsh like some lowered set ups I've had on passenger cars, and the stock shocks handle the rate good enough(expected stiffer spring to overpower rebound damping rates) and the benefits in handling are profound. The roll and feel when cornering, dive under braking, squat when accelerating are improved immensely. Seriously changes the character of the car and driving experience, a real smile maker if you are a driver's driver. I tackled the install myself, not recommended unless you have all experience, all the power tools, and time. There are some really stubborn bolts in the uprights at the front upper A-arm that took a large % of the total time, also spring compressors are just sketchy, especially on large vehicle spring rates.

Link to see the looks of the wheels and offset here, also walk through other mods and tunes stuff I did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDMgCBVvK4

Hope this helps add some insight, best o' luck!
Good choice of wheels! Have them (ET38) on 305 40 22 Lexani LX30 on a different rig. Beautiful!Especially when clean.
HRs great and solid for the past 3 or so years. Fantastic for the some $300 spent. Paired with some B6 Bilsteins, as good you could get (for now...or ever?? ..since no legit coils for 5 years now...).

cheers,

Bob
The following 2 users liked this post by BOBSQ5:
djames22 (11-26-2022), WQ7 (02-25-2024)
Old 11-26-2022, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob, if you have a chance, please post the Bilstein B6 shock part#s, would like to consider this option for mine too. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by djames22
Bob, if you have a chance, please post the Bilstein B6 shock part#s, would like to consider this option for mine too. Thanks.
Hey,
sorry i wouldn't know. Its was a chance pick from Shawn/Pacific German dropping them. I know he sourced them from Europe. Bilstein doesn't pop them on the US site.
hope that helps,
cheers,
Bob
The following users liked this post:
djames22 (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey guys,
with all the decent feed back I decieded to go ahead and install the springs. I will try and follow up with an install thread. The added time in the front for the cross brace wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. I think the rear fought me more than the front, till I decied to remove the lower plastic gaurds and just unbolt the lower control arm. Then it was only a 20min job per side. I prob messed with 2 different spring compressors for 1.5hrs not wanting to mess with the plastic rivets holding the lower shields. In the end the rivets actually came out fairly easy once you figure out how they work.
Also here are the part#'s i have sorced for the Bilstein B6. I can't find them in stock anywhere. Bilstein has a motorsports shop not too far from me I thought about calling them and asking what the delivery time migt be. My Q only has 19,000 miles on it so unles I am unhappy with the ride I think I can wait till they become available.

I have also heard there is a possibility that BC coilovers from a 2020 Porsche Cayenne might work in our Q's

hope this helps
Shawn
The following 2 users liked this post by Allbizns:
djames22 (11-27-2022), WQ7 (02-25-2024)