Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Parking brake auto engages and does not release.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Parking brake auto engages and does not release.

I have had my Q7 for a day and I am faced with a very weird problem. The parking brake auto engages when I stop at the Red light and does not release when I release my brake and put the foot on the gas. I had to manually release the parking brake. And today it got very embarrassing at the Red light when parking brake did not release even after trying to release it using the switch. I had to depress my brakes and then release the park brakes.

Has anyone faced this issue? I am going to check on how to disable this insane feature. I am also going to check with my dealer on whether this is a malfunction. Interestingly the parking brake does not auto engage all the time at the red light. It has only happened 3-4 times, which makes this even weirder.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Any chance your door was open and you weren't wearing your seatbelt?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Any chance your door was open and you weren't wearing your seatbelt?
I was wearing the seat belt. The door I believe did not close correctly from what I remember from my last trip. Will that matter?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
I was wearing the seat belt. The door I believe did not close correctly from what I remember from my last trip. Will that matter?
Driving with the door open will auto engage the parking brake, but I believe having your seat belt on in that situation would still auto disengage it.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Driving with the door open will auto engage the parking brake, but I believe having your seat belt on in that situation would still auto disengage it.
I think the real reason was the door not closing properly. Interestingly it did not give me any audible warning and hence I did not realize. It did display a visual warning which I overlooked. Thanks for the hint.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
I think the real reason was the door not closing properly. Interestingly it did not give me any audible warning and hence I did not realize. It did display a visual warning which I overlooked. Thanks for the hint.
FYI, Audiusa's Youtube channel has a video describing this safety feature (it's around 0:32):

Last edited by discogone; 05-30-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by discogone
FYI, Audiusa's Youtube channel has a video describing this safety feature:
Also note that your foot needs to be on the brake pedal in order to release the parking brake.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to disable this "feature?" I find it both irritating and dangerous. Just this morning, I was pulling out into traffic, and apparently the door wasn't latched properly, but the sensor didn't notice until I was already in motion and pulling into a travel lane at which point it engaged the brake and promptly stopped my car half into the lane in front of an oncoming car.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like we know the issue. In recent BMWs there is a feature called Auto Hold, which when activated, automatically applies the brakes when you stop at a light so you can take your foot off the brake pedal and relax. then, to disengage, you simply hit the gas pedal and go! Pretty cool feature, but almost alters the way you are programmed to drive. I thought this may have been the case for OPs, but I dont think the Q7 has this feature
Old 03-26-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Carl Boeing
Is there any way to disable this "feature?" I find it both irritating and dangerous. Just this morning, I was pulling out into traffic, and apparently the door wasn't latched properly, but the sensor didn't notice until I was already in motion and pulling into a travel lane at which point it engaged the brake and promptly stopped my car half into the lane in front of an oncoming car.
This was what happened with me with cars honking around and me scrambling to figure out what happened. It was quite embarrassing. Thankfully I now know the reason and always slam shut the door. I have been incident free since those initial anxious days.

Last edited by ven7782; 03-26-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Parking brake auto engages and does not release.